Johanne's Reviews > The Sookie Stackhouse Companion

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: supernatural-fiction, essays
Read from January 02 to 09, 2012, read count: 1

I've really enjoyed this book. I'm a big Sookie Stackhouse series fan, and it was great to get a glimpse of the "behind the scenes", so to speak.

The novella at the beginning of the book was ok. Of course it's a novella so the storyline is must simpler than a whole novel. It was interesting to see a bit more of the shifter troubles. They are mentioned in the book, but we got to experience them a little bit more firsthand.

I really thoroughly enjoyed the synopsis of all the novels. They were well done, organized date by date, so we got a really good timeline of the events. There are now 11 books in the series, with the first one being published 10 years ago. Sure, I didn't read it 10 years ago ;) But it has still been some times since the first few books, and it was great to be able to revisit them in 3-5 pages. And the "secret dialogues" of Bill and Eric were quite entertaining :)

I skipped the trivia and the recipes - I think they are a good inclusion to the book. In fact, I would have been surprised to NOT see any trivia. But I didn't feel like doing them ;) Maybe I'm not a HARDCORE fan... ha! :) I think the inclusion of the recipes was original. Especially Caroline Bellefleur's famous cake recipe :) I might photocopy that one before I return the book...

Enjoyed the Q&A's with Alan Ball and Charlaine Harris.

In short, a good and proper companion book for any Sookie fan, hardcore or not ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sookie Stackhouse Companion.

01/02/2012 page 30
01/04/2012 page 96
21.0% "On page 83, in the synopsis for "Dead Until Dark", it mentiond Rene Lenier as being Arlene's ex-husband - but isn't he her fiance?? Also, they mention that Sookie gets Bill to levitate for her - but doesn't she ask him if he can fly and he answers by "can you sing?"?? I will have to borrow the book again to check...!"
01/08/2012 page 211
46.0% "Finished reading the section with a resume of all the books. I quite liked this part. Each book was broke down date by date, and compacted into 3-5 pages, followed by "secret" dialogues between Bill & Eric. I found those to be quite entertaining! :) It was good to be able to "read" all the books again, in order, and get the whole timeline of the story, as it's been quite a while since the first few books."
01/08/2012 page 281
61.0% "I skipped the Trivia and the cooking recipes - hence the quick 50 pages update :) (I'm a fast reader, but not that fast!)"
01/09/2012 page 461
100.0% "The book ends with an extensive glossary of the series, which I'm only skimmed. It is a GREAT reference, and the compiler did an awesome job, but I didn't feel the need to read every entry just now ;)"
show 6 hidden updates…