Joy's Reviews > The Glory Field

The Glory Field by Walter Dean Myers

Jun 25, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: in-doe-6-8

I would give this book 3 and 1/2 stars if I was able to. I thought the idea of tracing a family through time was a really great one. However, I was left wanting to know more as each generation passed. There were characters, such as Lem, that I wanted to know more about. Also, the reader was left wondering why Tommy decided to marry Jennie and not Mandy. I think that more time spent with each generation would have made a greater impact on the reader than cutting it off short.

However, I would still consider using this book in my classroom. I think that students would be able to get engaged in the story and the characters. Also, I think that the class could break into groups and each group study a separate era. This would be a great study in comparing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glory Field.

message 1: by Tally (new)

Tally I'm currently on section 4, and he says he's in love with Jennie, yet marries mandy...so confused

George Zervo Wow. The Glory Field. What an adventure. This book is both sad and makes you think long and hard about what the African Americans went through. I think you’re going to like the book if you like historical stories. This is a good example of one of those books. The story may be confusing at first, but as you read on, you’ll understand what’s going on. But, I personally thought the story bored me until the very end. That’s just my opinion.