seak's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Jan 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2011
Read in December, 2011

I always have a hard time reviewing the "classics." Not so much because I don't have anything new to say - I have my own impressions - but more because what if I didn't like it? Does that make me poorly read or did I just not get what everyone else got? There's a very good chance of the latter no matter what I'm reading, let's just be honest.

But that's not that I didn't like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I gave it 4 stars as you can plainly see (although you'll see in a minute I actually gave it 3.5, whoops, now the cat's out of the bag). I really enjoyed it, but I didn't love it like I thought I would.

What got me sucked into reading this book was the writing. Lewis Carroll takes everything from Alice's perspective, her very young perspective. It's hilarious. The way she sees things is just like you would picture in a child. She looks at everything the way she's learned, but also according to how she's put things together in her young life.

Then, she also rambles and ends up on tangents that had me chuckling. You ever start thinking of one thing and suddenly you're at a whole new place and you have no idea how you got there and you can't help but laugh out loud? And then other people look at you weird. It's like that.

I do the same, as I'm sure many others do.

I'm sure you know the story, I won't bore you with the details, but there are some differences from the movie(s)...at least I think. It's been a while since I've seen any of them and I'll update this once I give the movie another go.

I think the thing that brought this book down a peg or two for me was the ending. That's right the ending. Skip this paragraph if you don't wanna go there. But come on Carroll. Really? It was all a dream. I've heard that one before - I'm looking at you Oz.

Overall this was a highly enjoyable book and at only 93 pages (and free on Kindle), it's worth a go. Come on, it's a classic.

3.5 out of 5 Stars
23 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Quotes seak Liked

Lewis Carroll
“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

06/08 marked as: read

Mark I think you captured its attraction beautifully. Lovely review

message 2: by seak (last edited Jan 09, 2012 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

seak Thanks a bunch, Mark. :)

Marc Innes well if you watch the newer film, it turns out it wasn't a dream, she just thought it was ;)

seak Good to know. My wife saw it without me and didn't recommend it so I never did see it, even despite my huge (yet dwindling recently) man-crush on Johnny Depp. :)

Riya great review! I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. now I'm sure thanks to your review!

seak Riya wrote: "great review! I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. now I'm sure thanks to your review!"

I hope you enjoy it. I thought it was really quirky, but in the best of ways and very clever writing.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I understand your points, and respect your opinion, but it's also good to keep in mind that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz wasn't published until 1900, whereas Alice in Wonderland was published in 1865. Still, I agree that the "it was all a dream" ending is disappointing, however, Oz seems to be the one doing the borrowing.