Heila's Reviews > Complete Novels: The Robber Bridegroom, Delta Wedding, The Ponder Heart, Losing Battles, The Optimist's Daughter

Complete Novels by Eudora Welty

Jan 01, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, unfinished
Read from January 01 to February 12, 2012

Enjoyed the first story.
Bogged down on the second, and am now moving on from this book/collection. She has some stunning turns of phrase though.
For Example, the below description of a girl on a train. I so enjoy train travel and this so wonderfully describes it:

"Thoughts went out of her head and the landscape filled it. In the Delta, most of the world seemed sky. The clouds were large--larger than horses or houses, larger than boats or churches or gins, larger than anything except the fields the Fairchilds planted. Her nose in the banana skin as in the cup of a lily, she watched the Delta. The land was perfectly flat and level but it shimmered like the wing of a lighted dragonfly. It seemed strummed, as though it were an instrument and something had touched it."

Has anyone else read her? If so, I'd really like to discuss her sometime. I wonder if she was trying in her writing some things that were going on in the rest of the art world of the time. Because I got a kind of Picasso-like distortion thing going on. It was weird.
You have to be really on it with short stories because they're so dense, so maybe right now in my life it's not a good time for the rest of hers...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete Novels.