Mary Gilligan-Nolan's Reviews > The Betrayal of Trust

The Betrayal of Trust by Susan Hill

Jan 03, 12

Read from January 01 to 03, 2012

The latest in the Simon Serrailler series and we once again follow his family and the ups and downs of their lives. These books are more than just a crime series, with individual story threads that will lead to crossed paths along the way. Cat, Simons sister, is struggling through life without Chris and working at the Hospice, which is under threat from financial shortages. Simon is also feeling the pinch at work, with cutbacks and staff shortages which makes life difficult when it comes to investigating a cold case. When the weather takes a turn for the worse, Lafferton experiences extreme flooding and a body is washed up in the aftermath. The victim is identifies as a 15 year old girl, who has been missing for 16 years. Soon, a second body is found buried nearby and Simon feels they may be connected. So, aside from the investigation, Simon falls in love for what seems to be the first time in his life, but there are many obstacles in the way. Cat finds out the truth about her mother and sister and there is a story running through the book, about a lady with Motor Neurons disease and a serious look at assisted suicide. Ms. Hill puts forward a compelling debate for and against, without favouring one point of view over the other. I was however a little surprised that Simon takes a completely out of character decision in this book and the ending was certainly abrupt. I presume, the next book will take up where this one left off, but I would have liked a little more closure. Still, a great book, not over-cooked once again, thought provoking. Hope long until the next one?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal of Trust.