Claudia's Reviews > The Lifted Veil

Oct 05, 14

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in May, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifted Veil.

Quotes Claudia Liked

George Eliot
“We learn words by rote, but not their meaning; that must be paid for with our life-blood, and printed in the subtle fibres of our nerves.”

George Eliot
“A bride and bridegroom, surrounded by all the appliances of wealth, hurried through the day by the whirl of society, filling their solitary moments with hastily-snatched caresses, are prepared for their future life together as the novice is prepared for the cloister—by experiencing its utmost contrast.”

George Eliot
“Before marriage she had completely mastered my imagination, for she was a secret to me; and I created the unknown thought before which I trembled as if it were hers.”

George Eliot
“Conceive the condition of the human mind if all propositions whatsoever were self-evident except one, which was to become self-evident at the close of a summer’s day, but in the meantime might be the subject of question, of hypothesis, of debate. Art and philosophy, literature and science, would fasten like bees on that one proposition which had the honey of probability in it, and be the more eager because their enjoyment would end with sunset. Our impulses, our spiritual activities, no more adjust themselves to the idea of their future nullity, than the beating of our heart, or the irritability of our muscles.”

George Eliot
“I thirsted for the unknown: the thirst is gone. O God, let me stay with the known, and be weary of it: I am content.”