Shelly's Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: favorites, audiobook-version, romance
Read in August, 2011, read count: several!

Oh my goodness, how much do I love this book? Let me count the ways!!

1 - Who doesn't love a super sexy, high powered, supremely arrogant know it all hero who falls head over heels in love with the heroine?

2 - Annabel is one of my all-time favorite heroines! Sweet, spunky and after years of dealing with her over-achieving family, dealing with Heath is a piece of cake!

3 - It's a story about good old-fashioned matchmaking! Yes, matchmakers seem outdated as a general rule, but they are still in existence, it's a cute story line, makes for a cute meet, and so what, you're reading a romance book - lighten up already! Matchmaking is a fun occupation to think/read about, especially in romance books!

4 - I love that she drives her grandma's car and he has a name. It's Sherman! Sherman is big, green and ugly, but somehow this story would be incomplete without it!

5 - Portia and Bodie!! If there is a woman alive who has not felt even a smidgen of the insecurities Portia feels, then I think it's time to check her girl card. As women get older, sometimes those insecurities just get worse and worse, we just get better at hiding them. I love tha Bodie sees right through them, and loves her anyways. And he sticks with her when she's blue, quite literally! But seriously, big, sexy, dangerous looking man with a neck tattoo wants you, every girl's dream, especially the insecure ones!

6 - It's a Susan Elizabeth Phillips book! This should have been numero uno, but I couldn't stop thinking about Heath, and I am too lazy to go back and change the order now! I love everything this woman does!

7 - Dean Robilliard makes a big splash in this book, and thank goodness for that!! *fans herself vigorously* He can call me babydoll any day of the week!

8 - The witty and sassy banter between these two is so enjoyable and downright fun to read/listen to. SEP always does this well, and this one does not disappoint.

9 - Just go out and read the book if you haven't yet, in which case - shame on you! If you have, think about re-reading it again, and pronto!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“If I could put my brain in her body, the world would be mine for the taking.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“sometimes knowing when to give up is the real test of character...

-annabelle granger”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Why don't I just hand you my panties and be done with it.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“You're beautiful, every part of you. I love your hair, the way it looks, the way it feels. I love touching it, smelling it. I love the way you wrinkle your nose when you laugh. It makes me laugh, too, every time. And I love watching you eat. Sometimes you can't shovel it in fast enough, but when you get interested in a conversation, you forget there's anything in front of you. God knows, I love making love with you. I can't even talk about that without wanting you. I love your pathetic attachment to those seniors. I love how hard you work.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I don't need to be fixed anymore. That job's already been done. I love you, Annabelle.

-Heath Champion-”
tags: love

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I think this is the way love feels to people like you and me. Threatening and dangerous. We have to be in control, and love takes that away. People like us… We can't tolerate vulnerability. But despite our best efforts, sooner or later love seems to catch up with us. And then…And then we fall apart.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“When did my house turn into a hangout for every grossly overpaid, terminally pampered professional football player in northern Illinois?"

"We like it here," Jason said. "It reminds us of home."

"Plus, no women around." Leandro Collins, the Bears' first-string tight end emerged from the office munching on a bag of chips. "There's times when you need a rest from the ladies."

Annabelle shot out her arm and smacked him in the side of the head. "Don't forget who you're talking to."

Leandro had a short fuse, and he'd been known to take out a ref here and there when he didn't like a call, but the tight end merely rubbed the side of his head and grimaced. "Just like my mama."

"Mine, too," Tremaine said with happy nod.

Annabelle spun on Heath. "Their mother! I'm thirty-one years old, and I remind them of their mothers."

"You act like my mother," Sean pointed out, unwisely as it transpired, because he got a swat in the head next.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“She's as plastic as you are. If you ever have kids, they'll come out of the birth canal with Fisher-Price stamped on their butts.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Disagreements over money are the biggest cause of divorce."

She waved her hand. "Absolutely no problem. Your money is our money. My money is my money." She wrote away.

"I should make you negotiate with Phoebe.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“They've drunk everything in the house, including a pitcher of African violet plant food I'd just mixed up and was stupid enough to leave on the counter."

Tremaine punched Eddie in the shoulder. "I told you it tasted weird."

Eddie shrugged. "Tasted okay to me.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Never mind that. What's going on with you and Heath?"

Annabelle pulled a little wide-eyed innocence out of her rusty bag of college acting skills.
"What do you mean? Business."

"Don't give me that. We've been friends too long."

She switched to a furrowed brow. "He's my most important client. You know how much this means to me."

Molly wasn't buying it. "I've seen the way you look at him. Like he was a slot machine with triple sevens tattooed on his forehead. If you fall in love with him, I swear I'll never speak to
you again."

Annabelle nearly choked. She'd known Molly would be suspicious, but she hadn't expected an outright confrontation. "Are you nuts? Setting aside the fact that he treats me like a flunky, I'd never fall for a workaholic after what I've had to go through with my family." Falling in lust, however, was an entirely different matter.

"He has a calculator for a heart," Molly said.
"I thought you liked him.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Maybe I should let my faithful manservant answer the rest of your questions, since he seems to have all the answers."

"I'm saving her time," Bodie replied. "She brings you a redhead, you'll give her grief. Look for women with class, Annabelle. That's most important. The sophisticated types who went to boarding schools and speak French. She has to be the real thing because he can spot a phony a mile away. And he likes them athletic."

"Of course he does," she said dryly. "Athletic, domestic, gorgeous, brilliant, socially connected, and pathologically submissive. It'll be a snap."

"You forgot hot." Heath smiled. "And defeatist thinking is for losers. If you want to be a success in this world, Annabelle, you need a positive attitude. Whatever the client wants, you get it for him. First rule of a successful business."

"Uh-huh. What about career women?"

"I don't see how that would work."

"The kind of potential mate you're describing isn't going to be sitting around waiting for her prince to show up. She's heading a major corporation. In between those Victoria's Secret modeling gigs."

He lifted an eyebrow. "Attitude, Annabelle. Attitude.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“You'll need to do a better job, Annabelle. No more dates like the first one tonight."

"Agreed. And no more making me sit through your Power Matches introductions, either. As you so wisely pointed out, helping Portia Powers isn't in my best interests."

"Then why are you still trying to talk me into seeing Melanie again?"

"Hunger makes me weird."

"You got rid of the last one in fourteen minutes. Well done. I'm rewarding you by letting you sit in on all the introductions from now on."

She nearly choked on an ice cube. "What are you talking about?"

"Exactly what I said.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I paid you five thousand instead and promised the balance only if you made the match. As it turns out, this is your lucky day because I've decided to write you the full check, whether the match comes from you or from Portia. As long as I have a wife and you've been part of the process, you'll get your money." He toasted her with his beer mug. "Congratulations."

She put down her fork. "Why would you do that?"

"Because it's efficient."

"Not as efficient as having Powers handle her own introductions. You're paying her a fortune to do exactly that."

"I'd rather have you."

Her pulse kicked. "Why?"

He gave her the melty smile he must have been practicing since the cradle, one that made her feel as though she was the only woman in the world. "Because you're easier to bully. Do we have a deal or not?"

"You don't want a matchmaker. You want a lackey."

"Semantics. My hours are erratic, and my schedule changes without warning. It'll be your job to cope with all that. You'll soothe ruffled feathers when I need to cancel at the last minute. You'll keep my dates company when I'm going to be late, entertain them if I have to take a call. If things are going well, you'll disappear. If not, you'll make the woman disappear. I told you before. I work hard at my job. I don't want to have to work hard at this, too."

"Basically, you expect me to find your bride, court her, and hand her over at the altar. Or do I have to come on the honeymoon, too?"

"Definitely not." He gave her a lazy smile. "I can take care of that all by myself.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“He grinned, and right then it occurred to him that he hadn't enjoyed himself so much with a woman in a very long time. If Annabelle Granger were a few inches taller, a hell of a lot more sophisticated, better organized, less bossy, and more inclined to worship at his feet, she'd have made a perfect wife.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“She gestured toward his very fine chest with her pencil. “On the off chance I find out after we’re married that your declaration of abiding love and devotion has been an elaborate con job perpetrated by you, Bodie, and Scary Spice…”
He massaged her arch. “I definitely wouldn’t lose too much sleep over that.”
“Just in case. You will give me all you worldly goods, shave your head, and leave the country.”
“Deal.”
“Plus, you have to hand out your Sox tickets so I can burn them in front of your eyes.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Annabelle gnawed her bottom lip. “I know I have to tell him the truth. I just need to find the right moment.”
Krystal cocked her hip. “Girl, there is no right moment to die.”
Charmaine clucked her tongue. “You are going straight o the top of my prayer list.”
Only Phoebe looked pleased, and her amber eyes glowed like a cat’s. “I love this. Not the fact that you’ll end up in a shallow grave – I’m really sorry about that, and I’ll make sure he’s prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But I love knowing that a mere slip of a female put one over on the great Python.”
Molly glared at her sister. “This is the exact reason why Christine Jeffrey’s won’t let her daughters have a sleepover with the twins. You frighten people.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“You're not my matchmaker any longer. But we're still friends, and in the interest of our friendship we need to discuss page thirteen."
"Page thirteen ?"
"You've accused me of being arrogant. I've always thought of myself as confident, but I'm here to tell you, no more. After studying these pictures... Honey, if this is what you're looking for in a man, I don't think any of us are going to measure up."
"I have no idea what you're talking about."
"Who knew flexible silicone came in so many colors?"
Her sex toy catalog. He'd taken it months ago. She'd hoped he forgotten it by now.
" Most of these products are hypoallergenic. That's good, I guess. Some with batteries, some without. I suppose that's a matter of preference. There's a harness on this one. That's pretty kinky. And...Son of a bitch ! It says this one is dishwater safe. I'm sorry but there's just something unappetizing about that.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Phoebe tapped the toe of her sneaker against the dock. “There’s only one good use for a man like Heath Champion.”
“Here we go again,” Molly muttered.
Phoebe’s lip curled. “Target practice.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“He set the suitcases in the back then tossed her the keys. "You drive."

She repressed a smile as she climbed behind the wheel. "With each passing day, your reasons for wanting a wife become clearer.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Love your review Shell! I completely adore SEP. My favourite contemporary author. And MMIYC is my fav SEP.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Shell's Bells. I love SEP, too, and this is one of my fave of the series.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review Shell's Bells..Im just starting her books and really like this author & her style of writting.

Shelly Thanks everyone! I think this makes about the 6th or 7th time I've read this book - I just love it!!!