Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

May 03, 2012

bookshelves: angels, erotic-pnr, fantasy, favorites, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, vampires
Read from March 29 to April 10, 2012

Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-review-lover-reborn-black-dagger.html

J. R. Ward is back with one of my most anticipated books this year, Lover Reborn. We now follow Tohrment, the brother who wiped himself off the face of the Earth when his shellan and unborn child were murdered. He is back due to a fallen, selfish, and smartass angel, Lassiter. But he is nowhere close to being the vampire he use to be. He is on a rampage. Along with his rampage, he has been having horrible nightmares where his shellan and child aren't safe and warm in the Fades, but stuck in a dreary and dark place. He soon finds out that they are stuck in the In Between. If Tohrment can't learn to move on and let go, his shellan and child will be lost in oblivion forever.

Wooooow! Ward has delivered again. And that delivery came with some punches. People have questioned why is there only a man on the cover. There is always a guy plus his lady. Now it makes sense. This is more than a romance, it is a journey. A journey to get out of the past and move on. To let go and be free. And Tohrment's journey is one I was glad to be apart of.

Tohrment was well...truly tormented. He just couldn't get out of the cage he built around him. I love that No'One is the leading lady. She was soft spoken and kept to herself, but when Tohr and her are interacting, I love the personality she has. She belonged to a royal family before her heartbreaking story and you can tell. I love that she came to make amends with Xhex and understood and loved her no matter who her father was. Lover Reborn truly portrayed the hurdles Tohr and No'One must jump over, not only for their families and each other, but for themselves.

I really enjoyed the side story of Xhex and John. They are newlyweds, but they show that even though they are finally together, things aren't perfect. Not even close. John didn't like that Xhex was out fighting because he didn't want to end up like Tohr. Xhex has been an assassin and a fighter even before John was born (well technically given we know who John really is). So I love that we got that because Xhex is nothing like the other shellans, so it makes sense that their relationship would be different. I also must put out there, I am on Xhex's side. Ease up John, goodness!

I also love that we got a lot more of the Band of Bastards. We aren't getting much of the lessers as earlier in the series, but the B.O.B. definitely form a bigger threat. Xcor is more determined than ever. But I like that we see he has a heart...sort of. He definitely cares for his brothers. And someone more, but I won't say who. I love that we get more of Qhuinn and Blay. They truly can't stay far from each other. And I loved the friendship between Layla and Qhuinn and w get some insight into her life. I know Qhuinn and Blay's book is up next and I can see why. There are some life changing events that take place that will make their book very exciting. I can't wait.

And than we have newbie named Assail. I am not sure if he is a bad guy or good guy just yet. But even though he looks like any other super rich, over pampered guy, don't underestimate him. He kind of scares me. I believe Ward said he will play a bigger part in the BDB, I can't remember, but I am keeping my eyes peeled for sure. And then we have my absolute favorite character in this book, Lassiter. I am so in love with this guy. It is impossible not to love him. He is hilarious and truly unpredictable, both with his actions and the things that come out of his mouth. I am dying for him to get his own book. That would be the greatest thing ever.

Let me say it now, Lover Reborn will make you mad a couple of times especially close to the end. I don't think I cursed so loud at the ending of a book since Dreamfever. Not to mention the times I wanted to punch Tohr for being so stubborn. He did and said some things to No'One or others that deserved a slap or two. I understood his anger and how he felt he was deceiving Wellsie in some way. But come on man! I did love the literal punch in the nuts, that actually brought a tear to my eye.

Obviously I can go on forever, so I will slow my roll here. I absolutely loved this book. All the chaos and emotions really gets you going. Not to mention those sex scenes. Just a warning, don't read this at work. This book will really drive you nuts and it is so worth it. The BDB is one of the first PNR books I have read and it is still one of the best series out there. Again, if you haven't started this series, you really need to get on it now. Find out exactly why this Brotherhood has fans like me drooling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.