jo mo's Reviews > The Space Between

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, 2012, fantasy, immortals, family, angels-demons, creatures-of-the-night, dark-fantasy, dramarama, horror, tearjerker, male-pov, tugging-at-your-heartstrings, oddities, reviews, make-scrapbook, authors-to-watch, 2-stars, re-reads
Recommended for: fans of angelfall, daughter of smoke and bone, fire
Read on January 07, 2012

2.5/5

cover
the cover sums the story of the book in just one picture up: dark, creepy, terrifying, but also with flashes of beauty. i get goosebumps just by looking at this cover.

story
daphne (daughter of lilith and lucifer) and a mortal boy, truman meet in hell, because he tried to kill himself. but circumstances allow truman to return to earth. daphne stays in hell. when her brother goes missing, she leaves her home behind to find truman, the last person to see her brother. one thing leads to another and they find out some surprising things..

the good, the bad & the ugly
the story read nicely, although sometimes a little stiff.

angels aren't all downright good or evil, more like somewhere in between, just like the demons who are in hell. that added a nice touch. i like my characters with shades of gray. there are even some horror elements (that's a plus point, btw!) (view spoiler)

there's no love triangle (hooray), there were some nice and touching moments and dialogues between the lead characters, but overall it still wasn't enough. maybe i'll feel differently at some point, but right now? nope. also the secondary characters like lilith or beelzebub (view spoiler) or obie (her brother) were underdeveloped. i wish the author had polished the characters a little bit more, to give them a little shine.

the showdown wasn't much of a showdown. it was pretty ... anticlimactic to tell the truth.

quotes
daphne & truman:
"I have a toothbrush,” I tell him, trying to make him feel at home.
You can borrow it, if you like.

beelzebub:

flashbacks to daughter of smoke & bone:
All I know is that demons are born from chaos. They’re born from rage or blood or fire, or ruined holy water. They’re born from eggs. They come into the world as wisps of smoke or in grotesque forms that splinter off and multiply. There are all kinds of origins, all different ways to be born [..]

love is a bitch:
(view spoiler)

moloch & truman:
I’m not a holy man,” Moloch said from behind his hand.

possible pairings
books:
Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

films:
constantine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between.

01/07/2012 "Sometimes the danger doesn’t matter. I’m leaving a place I can’t stand, for a life I want more than anything."
01/07/2012 "“What you have to understand is that this is his life, and he’s the one who has to live it. People make decisions, and maybe you don’t always agree, but those choices are still their own.”"
01/07/2012 "The room is still. Still enough to think. And what I think is that my mother never would have accepted this stillness. She made her own fate when she was younger than me. She defied God and angels, even if it meant being banished, then chose my father, even when that choice confined her to a jagged, brimstone world."
01/07/2012 "“I’ll be fine.” His own voice sounded warm and easy, and that made everything worse. Fine was the biggest lie of all."
01/07/2012 "sometimes, things worth doing involve risk."
01/07/2012 "He knew how useless words could be. How even when you wanted more than anything just to hear someone say they understood, it didn’t make you feel better. Not really."
01/07/2012 "“I have a toothbrush,” I tell him, trying to make him feel at home. “You can borrow it, if you like.” He just looks at me. Then he smiles a little, shaking his head. “Toothbrushes aren’t the kind of thing people usually share.” “I know. I haven’t used mine yet though, so it’s new. It could be yours instead.”"
01/07/2012 "All I know is that demons are born from chaos. They’re born from rage or blood or fire, or ruined holy water. They’re born from eggs. They come into the world as wisps of smoke or in grotesque forms that splinter off and multiply. There are all kinds of origins, all different ways to be born.."
01/07/2012 "“I’m not a holy man,” Moloch said from behind his hand. “I’m not pious, and I’m not good. But if I were, your penance would be to start reaching for the things you want and giving up the things that will destroy you.”"
01/07/2012 "Love is when you care more about something else than you do about yourself."
01/07/2012 "“What have you done?” I say “I shot my son in the head. You don’t have to ask—you were there.” “Why?” Beelzebub just watches me walk up the aisle toward him, looking so serene, so untroubled. I expect him to say “c’est la vie,” or something else in French, but he doesn’t."
01/07/2012 "I remember kissing Truman on the balcony, and maybe he never said he loved me, but he meant it anyway. And there’s my mother, shrieking in pain when she thought something had happened to her son, and Myra with her sly smile and her dead eyes, grieving for Deirdre in the only way she knew how. My father, holding the razor to Beelzebub’s throat, telling him that it would all be over in an instant."