JoAnn's Reviews > Evergreen A Christmas Tale

Evergreen A Christmas Tale by Richard Taylor

Jan 01, 12

This is a nice little story that I think set itself up to be more sentimental than it was for me.

It gives a reason for the origin of the Christmas tree that had nothing discernably christian -- in an either the religious or cultural sense -- about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evergreen A Christmas Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

CalGal Since when has a (Christmas) tree had anything to do with Christianity?

JoAnn Certainly, Christmas trees are not anywhere in the Bible and for most of the history of Christianity they have not been used as part of the celebration of Christmas, but there are Christian stories about the use of the tree during Christmas (e.g. evergreens symbolizing God's unchanging character and love, Martin Luther being struck by the beauty of the stars shining through the branches of an evergreen on a winter's trek, the shelter they provide to some creatures during a harsh and inhospitable season showing God's care and provision) and I just wanted to let people know that this was not one of those stories, if they were looking for that.
I did enjoy the story itself, but did not connect with it emotionally. For me, it was okay, which is what two stars represents.

CalGal Throughout history the evergreen tree has been the symbol of the winter solstice, representing life (and beauty) on the coldest, darkest day of the year. Thank you for the clarification of your own review.