Titus Fortner's Reviews > Absolution Gap

Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from March 03 to April 15, 2012

As a conclusion to the trilogy this book was really poor, and I recommend avoiding this series all together. I enjoyed some of the hard sci fi aspects in Reynolds' writing, but he writes without emotional understanding..

Everything seems so arbitrary and emotionally unsatisfying. Too many unnecessary plot devices that served merely to move characters from one location to another. A character dies, oh no they didn't, they need to be alive to kill someone else, ok now they died for real. Characters are introduced, we develop an emotional connection and then they sort of go away. I like protagonists who stay protagonists and develop and change, and this was disappointingly absent. Some arbitrary and unexplained prognostication tells them to go somewhere, but they go somewhere else instead, but nothing important really happens there and then they go to the place they are supposed to go. But the reason they were told to go there turned out to invalidate the prognostication and some deus ex machina enters to solve things, except not really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolution Gap.