Niki's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Aug 26, 12

Read from August 23 to 26, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Niki Same thing happened to me as with "Jazz". Last few pages my tears started flowing. Catharsis, u might say. Rarely happened to me and never so powerfully as with Toni Morrison twice already.
The lives of the protagonists in "Beloved" are defined by them being slaves, around the time of the abolition of slavery. We learn a lot about what it meant to be a slave, former slave. Stuff you surely don't find in history books, or rather, not told this way, with such weight. There is a family tragedy and the tragedy brings about paranormal phenomena, lifetime self-guilt. And there's other tragedies. Seems like it's better to die then to live on and become dead inside after all the gruesome, humiliating experiences. The road to salvation is bumpy and many times seems to lead nowhere good. But in the end salvation comes in a beautiful, cathartic way. It not only tells about human strength, strength of mind and heart, but love as it is.
By the way love or the lack of it is presented in many forms. Motherly love taken to the extremes, the child's love towards its mother also taken to the extreme abnormal levels, when it's not love anymore. Sisterly love and the love between man and woman.
Of course the gentleness and wisdom that is present in all of Toni Morisson's books I've read so far, is present in "Beloved" as well. Somehow Baby Suggs's character represents the author Itself for me, of course before her disillusionment and despair.