Pamela's Reviews > A Demon Does It Better

A Demon Does It Better by Linda Wisdom

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, paranormal-romance, fiction
Read from January 01 to 23, 2012

I’m kind of thinking that I just wasn’t in the right mood for this book. Other reviews for it are glowing, but I absolutely could not get into the story. At all. I felt no emotional connection to the characters, the prose was clunky and off-putting, and by page 100, I still had no idea what the main plot thread would be. Let’s break this down into things that annoyed me:

The Characters
I just wasn’t interested in the protagonist, Lili, at all. There wasn’t any kind of emotional connection between me as the reader and Lili as the main character. I know I was supposed to feel bad for her that her mother died and her best friend is missing, but I didn’t. In fact, I really didn’t get any kind of emotion off of Lili when she mentioned those two big life events. I was told she was feeling sad and worried, but I never got a sense of it. She was just… there, and I could never get a feel for her.

The love interest, demonic Jared, was the same. He’s described as sexy and mysterious, but I just couldn’t ever muster enough interest in him to care who he is, why he’s locked in the magical hospital’s psych ward, or what the amazing chemistry is between Jared and Lili. Even that felt perfunctory: there will be a romance between these two characters, therefore they are suddenly and inexplicably attracted to each other. Meh.

The majority of the supporting characters were cardboard cutouts: the bitchy head nurse, the creepy old doctor, the sweet and supportive best friends, the sexually adventurous new friend. The only supporting character with real potential is Cleo, Lili’s cat friend who used to be Cleopatra, queen of Egypt. I like the idea of Cleo, but the execution was lacking. To me, Cleo is that stock sassy friend character who says, “GURL!” a lot to the protagonist and nudges her into the romance.

The Prose
Infodumps, ahoy! I’m wondering how I would feel about the infodumps if I had read the first book in this series (nothing on the Amazon page indicates that it’s book 2, so I went in flying blind). As someone without any background in the universe, I was annoyed that I was dropped into a world and had little, incongruous nuggets of information dropped on me randomly. If I were familiar with the world, I might not need those nuggets of information, but I still think that they really do nothing to enhance my enjoyment of the world.

The Plot
There are just too many plot threads brought up haphazardly. Lili has started her new job at the magical hospital. She sees the sexy demon dude. She’s feeling regret over her mother’s death. Okay. By this point, I’m not sure where the story is going (other than that Lili and Jared are eventually going to hook up), but I’m willing to stick around and see. At around page 70, Lili suddenly thinks about her best friend who used to work at the magical hospital but mysteriously quit her job and disappeared. Huh. It seems like that’s something that Lili would have thought of sooner, since she’s in the hospital all day. You’d think that would bring up memories of her friend or something. At page 100, yet another new character, the bitchy headmistress of Lili’s old witch school, suddenly shows up to chat.

And I still have no idea where the plot’s going. I try to be a forgiving reader; I’ll often give a book way more time than I should to draw me in. But with this one, I just couldn’t go on. If within the first hundred pages, I haven’t been given an inkling of what the main plot thread is going to be, I have to give up.

Rating: Did Not Finish

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Demon Does It Better.

01/11/2012 "The main character seems oddly blasé about everything. Even if I were a witch, I'd be a little freaked if a hot demon suddenly appeared in my house without invitation."
01/19/2012 "I'm so not thrilled with this. I hate to give it a DNF review, but I really don't care enough to finish it. :\"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I have to admit I'm getting several of the same vibes from the book, except for one thing. To me, there doesn't really seem to be a main plot, but several pretty obvious subplots. I figured out who the bad guy would be as soon as there was an indication there would be a bad guy. There's no mystery, there's little suspense, and the whole romance is like "I will it, so it will be" type writing. I did actually read the first book in this series, and I still felt somewhat lost due to not remembering if Lili was in the first book or not. I have a feeling I won't be buying or reading any more of Linda Wisdom's books because these have both been less than what I wanted. The first was just good enough for me to look at the blurb on the back of the cover of this one, and I liked the blurb. The book just hasn't lived up to that promise.