Wendy's Reviews > The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening: Natural-Sustainable-Organic

The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening by Ann Lovejoy

Jul 23, 2008

bookshelves: permanent-reference-shelf, nonfiction
Read in January, 2006

If I only had a spare blender, I would try adding more moss (instead of dandilions and clover) to my lawn by blending buttermilk and moss into a "thick slurry" and pouring that on all the bare spots. What other gardening book would condone my attitude towards lawns and contain such a bizarre, yet simple, suggestion? Lovejoy is an encouraging and inspiring author, with a sense of humor to boot.

In a section on keeping deer out of your garden, she writes:
Coyotoe urine is sold in nurseries and is a highly effective deer repellent...Pros: It really works. Cons: The coyotes are penned in inhumane condiitons in order to collect their urine. Solution: Many of us keep a male predator around the house. Humans are even higher on the food chain that coyotes. If you have access to a free suppy of male predator urine by all means, give this organic technique a try.

She favors planning ahead to minimize chores in the garden, and using native plants and other plants with similar needs to have success in Northwest gardens. There are many beautiful photos. I find hours of entertainment from leafing through this book, and occasionally it even gets me off the couch and into the garden.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening.

message 1: by Sonia (new)

Sonia I love moss. I refuse to let Bob (my husband) kill the moss on our lawn. I think in my previous life I was a troglodyte.