JoAnn/QuAppelle's Reviews > The Year of Pleasures

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Jun 25, 08

This book by Elizabeth Berg was lovely. It follows Betta, a 50-something widow, along her path of grief following the death of her beloved husband. The book, however, was a bit too "enchanted" for me....even though Betta was suffering from the loss of her husband, somehow things just fell into place too easily for her. Finding the perfect house the first day in a new town, and having friends rush to her aid after not corresponding with them for 30 years --these were things that were just too good to be true!

Many parts of the book were glimpses into the past: her college years, her courtship, parts of her marriage, her husband's dying. These glimpses helped to flesh Betta out, but she was not nearly as well-developed a character as Nan in "Pull of the Moon".

While coincidence played a bit more of a role than I usually like, Berg's lovely writing and her understanding of grief overcame the negatives.

I would recommend this book....with reservations.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Pleasures.

Staci I read this a few years ago and totally enjoyed it!! Pull of the Moon? Haven't read it but I'm going to check it out!

Staci checked it out...I don't know how I missed reading it because I really like Berg. It sounds like a book that I would certainly enjoy!

JoAnn/QuAppelle Staci wrote: "checked it out...I don't know how I missed reading it because I really like Berg. It sounds like a book that I would certainly enjoy!"

"Pull of the Moon" is one of the few books I have EVER read more than once. You might be a bit to young to appreciate Nan's "journey" but you will not forget it!