Katy St. Clair's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

2042491
Jan 01, 2012

I would never have read this book if it hadnt been given to me as a gift, but once I started it was hard to put down. I love her bare-bones approach to what we think we understand about how animals behave and think... and we are, of course, animals as well. What I found most interesting was the idea of "Seeking" behaviors that go back to the days of searching or hunting for food.... that part of our brains is still very much active now, but in other pursuits, like solving crossword puzzles or learning new things. I always wondered why I enjoy learning new things so much (you cant take it with you, as they say...) and now I am convinced that the act of it releases things in my brain that make me feel good. The more I learn, the more I can learn, using past knowledge as a building block, and the more pleasant it is in my brain. There is also a separate "Seeking" and "Getting" mode, which would explain why as soon as I am done with a book or a puzzle I move right on to the next one. The pleasure, indeed, is in the seeking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris I agree with you about the seeking and getting aspects. I relate that to my giant list of books to read and the fact that as soon as I finish a book, no matter how much I enjoyed reading it, I can't wait to put a line through it on my list and start another one. Also, when there is nothing to read in the house, I become very anxious until I can get to the library. The best scenario is that I have a small stack of library books at home to choose from which feels to me almost exactly like knowing I have enough food in the house.