Daniel's Reviews > Living Dead in Dallas

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, tv-tie-in, dark-fantasy-horror
Read from January 01 to 08, 2012

Let's face it, this book isn't written for someone like me (a fifty year old man). This is, as some of my friends have it shelved on their lists: chick lit, urban-vaginal-fantasy, etc). As such, it's fine. Really. I absolutely believe everyone should have some light escapist fantasy reading material for when they want their minds to relax.

For me, this did't hold up particularly well. I wasn't impressed with Sookie and I wasn't impressed with Bill or Eric, the three 'leads' of the story.

So why read it?

1) I really like the series TRUE BLOOD, which is based so heavily on this series. So far, the television show is doing a much better job of keeping my hooked.

(And by the way, there was a death in this book that REALLY surprised me, since that death does not happen here in the series.)

2) I've long had a fascination with vampire literature ... much longer than the recent literary fascination. I did mention I was 50, right? So imagine a young teen boy reading the Vampirella comics or watching Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (how did she manage to not fall out of that costume!?) I'd read Dracula before it was vogue and even read Interview With the Vampire in it's first edition, before most people had ever heard of it. And there were a number of vampire books in the '70's that didn't have a high profile, but that I managed to read.

3) I was hoping for a little escapist fantasy.

Unfortunately, even my escapist fantasy books need to hold my interest and this one really didn't. Maybe book 3 in the Sookie Stackhouse series will....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead in Dallas.