Anjana's Reviews > Wanderlove

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Feb 26, 12

Read on February 26, 2012

God, my thoughts are all over the place. I feel like no matter what I write, I can't express how much I loved this book.Wanderlove was really good. Scratch that, it was excellent. It's the kind of book that keeps you glued till you finish it.

This may be irrelevant but a couple of months ago, I was looking for some pretty screen savers for my phone when I came across a beautiful pencil sketch of a girl leaping with a bunch of butterflies on her trail. I loved it so much that I immediately saved it as my screensaver for a long time. For some reason, when I came across the same picture in Wanderlove, it was a lovely surprise. Knowing that Hubbard drew it just made me like her and the book all the more.

Bria Sandoval has just graduated from high school and after her boyfriend breaks up with her, she decides to skip art school and take off on a trip to Guatemala with a tour group but things don't work out the way she planned. I don't know if it's Hubbard's writing or the plot itself but I found the book addictive. Hubbard's nailed Bria's emotion, they go perfect with her character - she's smart, witty and extremely talented. I could really relate to her thirst for an adventure. It's a phase most teenagers go through at some point of their lives I guess. I have to hand it to Hubbard for writing a book so compelling that at the end of it I felt like packing up my things and taking off.

Wanderlove was an amazing adventure! Although I was only reading about the places, I could picture everything and feel all the things that Bria did. It was wonderful to watch her grow into a stronger person over the span of her trip. I loved that the book didn't jump straight into the romance, we got more than enough time and words to get to know the characters - Bria, Rowan and Starling - and get attached to them. The writing style and the scenery were absolutely amazing! The illustrations were an additional (awesome) creative touch to the book.

This is one of the best YA contemporary books I've ever read and my new favorite! I strongly recommend it to not just teenagers but everyone who loves an adventure. I guarantee that you won't be able to put it down.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.

Quotes Anjana Liked

Kirsten Hubbard
“You got to find your own places. The places you get, girl, the ones that stick in your heart. And if you’re lucky, you find people to share them with.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Wanderlust is like itchy feet. It’s when you can’t settle down. But Wanderlove is much deeper than that . . . it’s a compulsion. It’s the difference between lust and love.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Envy is when you want what someone else has. Jealousy’s when you also don’t want them to have it.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“What you love the most is what you have to fight the hardest to keep.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“I know what it's like. To sabotage yourself. Nothing makes you hate yourself more than that.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Even when life turns out different than what you've planned, it's always better to try and fail than to wonder what could have been.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Toby liked to say he chose not to be impulsive. As if being impulsive were something you consciously decide. When I look at Starling, with her turquoise turban and wet knot of hair, and at Rowan, with his stack of cheap string anklets, I think: Impulsive isn't something you choose. It's something you are. Like gay, or freckled or bipolar. Something I pretend to be but am not. Not really. Not deep down.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Hearing about vacations is like hearing about dreams -- no one cares except the person who's experienced them.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Wanderlove is about forgetting the bad things and focusing on the good. Out with the old and in with the new... The only way to escape the past is to keep moving forward.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“You can't control the past, but you can control where you go next.”

Kirsten Hubbard
“Impulsive isn’t something you choose. It’s something you
are.”