R's Reviews > The Shakespeare Secret: Number 1 in series

The Shakespeare Secret by Jennifer Lee Carrell

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, real-world
Recommended for: Everyone, but particularly literary nerds
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I picked this book up by chance for 50p in the library, and read it in less than two days. I immediately loved all the characters, even the ones I was supposed to loathe, and found myself completely wrapped up in the story. I'm so glad this book is mine and not the library's, as I don't think I'd be able to give it back. I'm always a sucker for literary mysteries, and what I liked about this book is that it never really gave everything away. Even when you finish it, all the questions are not answered, and you're free to speculate about what you think really happened 400 years ago on the evidence provided. I thought that the twists were very clever and unexpected, and I thought that it was brilliant that, despite being a book about the truth behind William Shakespeare, it didn't stay in England, let alone Stratford. My only niggle would be that I thought the romance felt slightly forced, and the main character didn't dwell on certain things which I thought she should have done, but overall a great book, and one which I will definitely re-read, if only to make sure that I understood the mystery properly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shakespeare Secret.