Betsy's Reviews > The Mighty Miss Malone

The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis

May 05, 12

Read from April 04 to May 05, 2012

I moved straight from re-reading "The Watson's Go to Birmingham" to this new one by Curtis. I love "Watsons...." so much (both the story and the characters themselves) and "MMM" has gotten such great reviews in some venues that I was super stoked about meeting the title character. Curtis does not disappoint in delivering another memorable character who is bright, funny and certain to be memorable, but something was missing from this book, and I'm not sure what it was.

It was devastatingly sad and also puzzling at times, but not the funny, page-turning yet shockingly-real journey through history (in this case the Great Depression) that "Watsons..." was. I know it's not really fair to compare the books, but for me, it's impossible given that the two works do have so many other similarities (strong, young African-American main character who teaches us about a very tough period of American history through the study of family relationships and their journey to establish a better life). I do keep thinking about the amazing Deza and the unimaginable trials of her close-knit family, though. Maybe as this book marinates in my mind for a while longer, I'll come to appreciate it more wholly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mighty Miss Malone.