Naiya's Reviews > The Man With the Golden Torc

The Man With the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from January 01 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

His name is Drood. Edwin Drood.

Cover name: Shaman Bond.

His whole life, he’s been taught that his only reason for being is to protect mankind and maintain order in a world saturated with magic, super-science, aliens, and monsters. Around his throat, Eddie wears a magic torc–it’s retractable armor and an invisibility cloak all rolled into one. But trouble is stirring–there are evil powers that want to take the Drood family down, and a traitor in the family. So when Eddie is summoned home from the field for the first time in ten years, he knows it can’t be good.

My big mistake with this book is that I took the cover art at its visual word and approached the novel as yet another Urban Fantasy. Never having been a James Bond watcher, I completely missed Green’s play on the 1974 movie title, The Man with the Golden Gun, and so was completely unprepared for the novel’s tongue-in-cheek style. Green’s urban fantasy adventure delivers a kind of Men In Black meets The Bourne Identity with a wisecracking cast of characters.

With its heavy helping of cheese, witty comebacks, and action violence that levels entire city blocks in the middle of London, this is a Hollywood action flick in writing form.

But two and a half stars are lopped off the book for a shaky beginning, a show-off narrator with an adolescent swagger, and the very convenient ending. The characters were one-dimensional, and the overall world hard to swallow.

While Edwin’s brief run-in with a sex cult makes me a little wary of recommending this book to the younger YA crowd, I think this book will be best enjoyed by action-spy-fantasy minded teens who like superhero flicks.

Read my full review here.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With the Golden Torc.