Amelia's Reviews > The Shattering

The Shattering by Karen Healey

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

My first impression, before ever having opened the book, was that it was gonna flop. I just figured that with a plot like that told from the points of view of three different characters...something said it wouldn't work.

Well. That's what I get for losing faith in Australian/New Zealand authors. Because The Shattering was an excellent book with rich characters, an impressive storyline and a haunting setting. Not to mention hilarious humor.

I was in love from the first chapter. Keri's character really set the tone and my interest was piqued from the blunt way she told her story. I knew right away that this wasn't going to be some summer story with crappy romances and cheap inner battles. Karen Healey was not fooling around with this book.

At first, I thought it would be a contemporary, because that's the impression I got from the summary. It's not, however. It's actually an urban fantasy and I think it worked out great. The story fit with the genre, and carried a lot of depth.

I loved the myth and culture involved. By the end of the story, I felt as if I were coming home from vacation--that's how well Karen Healey represented the setting of Summerton. It was creepy, but compelling, which made it even creepier. I was spooked but couldn't get out by that point.

The dynamic between the three main characters--Keri, Janna and Sione--was fascinating. Karen Healey didn't shy away from anything. The three had a lot of complications. They weren't instant buddies, which I thought was fitting. Cookie cutter friendships have been becoming more common lately and their unique natures made me fall in love with them right away.

Karen Healey was a breath of fresh air. I can't wait to get my hands on more of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattering.

02/05/2012 page 67
22.0% "This book is awesome so far."
show 1 hidden update…