Mrsgaskell's Reviews > The History of Mr. Polly

The History of Mr. Polly by H.G. Wells

Jan 04, 2012

bookshelves: british, kindle, classics, 8-star
Read from January 01 to 03, 2012

When the novel opens we meet Mr. Polly sitting on a stile contemplating the view and life. He's a discontented, dyspeptic shopkeeper in his mid-thirties and H.G. Wells soon gives us an account of how Mr. Polly reached this point. The imagination, curiosity, and dreams of the boy were drummed out of him by education and work in a series of department stores and shops. A small inheritance on his father's death enabled him to buy his own shop and impulsively take a wife. Fifteen years on, he and his wife are unhappy,the shop is failing, and Mr. Polly is at odds with all his neighbours. It sounds glum, but this is a funny book and Mr. Polly's mispronounced and original expressions are amusing. When Mr. Polly decides that he should end it all, life really begins anew. It is never too late to start again. This was a delightfully different surprise from the author of The Time Machine (which I loved). Recommended!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Mr. Polly.

07/11 marked as: read