Tung's Reviews > Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: children
Read in January, 2012

I've read every single one of the Wimpy Kid books (and seen both movie adaptations) because my kids find them funny, and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. The first one was, indeed, hysterical, and the second less so but still entertaining. Each subsequent book has declined in entertainment value, and that negative trend continues with this latest installment. Each book focuses on Greg Heffley, a mischievous middle school student who finds himself in various predicaments, usually of his own doing. In Cabin Fever, Greg finds himself nearing the Christmas season and having to behave himself because Santa is watching. Greg is also trying to find a way to earn money to purchase Christmas gifts for his family. So we get to see Greg's misadventures shoveling snow, surviving being snowed in and without power in his own home, and trying to organize a Holiday Bazaar. The problem with Cabin Fever (and really all of the books after the second one) is that while each of the sequels follow the formula of the first book -- Greg repeatedly gets into trouble, but in the end, does something that reveals he has a good heart -- they lack the cohesiveness of story that the first book had; now all we get is a disconnected series of pratfalls. And because they do follow a formula, we know to expect the redemptive act at the end of each book, and often (especially in Cabin Fever for me) these moments of redemption feel tacked on out of nowhere. Even my own children found this latest installment the blandest of the series. This is my last Wimpy Kid book. Pass on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cabin Fever.