Rachel's Reviews > Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison

Feb 22, 12

Recommended to Rachel by: Emily Liebling
Read in August, 2008, read count: 1

This was such a fascinating book - the author has Aspergers, and this autobiography offers great insight into the way his mind(and those of other Aspergians)works and processes things. For example, he attemps to explain why he might react with a smile when told that someone has died. He also goes into detail about his expertise on niche subjects, his startling intelligence, and he gives us an idea of why his brain might work that way, and how it has both evolved and devolved over the years.

The most interesting passage, in my opinion, is when he proposes that perhaps many people born within the Autism spectrum have the ability (depending upon their personal circumstances) to shift where they are within that spectrum -either gradually becoming more outgoing and social, or withdrawing further into their own minds, away from human interaction.

The most surprising thing about this book is that despite his claim that he comes across as deadpan and expressionless in person, his writing style is super funny. I found myself laughing frequently at his tales of childhood capers and misunderstandings. His inability to read social cues, and his unconstrained loathing of certain people make for some hilarious stories.

I happen to have 4 cousins with this condition, and it gave me a litte more insight and understanding of their behavioral quirks, and their unique intelligences. Compelling read.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Me in the Eye.