Elisabeth's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 24, 2009

Recommended to Elisabeth by: Book Club
Read in March, 2009

I wanted to wait until I read this through a second time before posting my review, because I wanted to be sure that what I felt the first time I read it still rang true after reading some criticism of the book (so I went into it with a more cynical eye the second time). My feelings are still the same: for me, this was a beautiful, beautiful book. Horrible and devastating, absolutely - in fact, I just finished the last page and wept. But beautiful just the same - and perhaps even more amazing that I found it so beautiful after reading the horror upon horror that was described throughout the book. McCarthy's sparse writing style suited the book perfectly...in my opinion, nothing was lost by omitting quotation marks and proper sentence structure. This book made me feel deeply - feel the desolation of the world in its last days, feel the desperation of humanity as its moral code is stripped away, feel the endless, endless road and loss of hope as the boy and his father trudge through the dark, cold landscape, and most of all, feel the consuming, unconditional love between this father and his son: a love that transcends the utter devastation that encompasses their story. There were so many haunting passages that I keep turning over and over in my head, but this was one of the most moving for me:

“From daydreams on the road there was no waking. He plodded on. He could remember everything of her save her scent. Seated in a theater with her beside him leaning forward listening to the music. Gold scrollwork and sconces and the tall columnar drapes at either side of the stage. She held his hand in her lap and he could feel the tops of her stockings through the thin stuff of her summer dress. Freeze this frame. Now call down your cold and your dark and be damned."

I'm not an avid McCarthy fan by any means, but to me, this is master-craft writing at its finest. I will always have it on my shelf, and look forward to reading it again, devastating as it may be.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.

Elisabeth Reading this for a second time for my book club this month...it's been about a year since I first read so I thought I should refresh myself. :)