Jim's Reviews > Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It

Jul 30, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: travel, humorous, non-fiction
Read in July, 2008

I was a little ambivalent about this one, alternating between loving it and thinking it was moderately OK. This isn't my favorite book by this author, but it was a mostly engaging read.

The book is a collection of travel essays cum anecdotal narratives of time spent in various locales, ranging from Southeast Asia to Europe to gritty American cities. Through it all, Dyer and his companions get high, make aesthetic comments on the landscape, engage in the jargon of Eastern spiritualism and ironic postmodernism, and basically wander through their days.

I didn't enjoy these pieces as much when read in tandem, as this made me notice the sameness of them. To be fair, I think that Dyer is trying to convey a sense of floating, languid semi-decadence, as is implied by the book's title. When read one at a time, with a break in between, they were wonderful little pieces of prose. Dyer cannot be faulted for his style, which has a pleasant sense of flow and well-honed phrasing.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It.