Nina's Reviews > Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms

Mycophilia by Eugenia Bone

Jan 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

I read this book after seeing the review in the NYTimes. I'm a longtime mushroom lover (I'll never forget the crispy sweetbreads with morels at a riverside inn in Fontaine de Vaucluse) and buy mushrooms on nearly every shopping trip.
This book took a very long time for me to read, uncustomarily. Unlike some of the spellbinding fiction I read, this book can be easily put down for a game of Angry Birds, then picked up later. The author seems like a real character (I love her name, for some reason. I'd like to write a limerick...Eugenia Bone, won't you pick up the phone, a mushroom is calling and it's right in the zone...but I digress).
This lady is obsessed, to put it mildly. Everything you ever wanted to know about mushrooms is undoubtedly contained in this book. I've never hunted for mushrooms, but reading this made me want to go out there and find some deliciousness. Unfortunately, Montclair, NJ is not a great hunting ground, so maybe I'll take a trip to Oregon one of these days.
I liked all the information, and I liked her anecdotes, too, like interviewing a mushroom expert naked in a hot spring. Unlike some self-promoting authors I could name who seem to pick a subject that will win them a publishing contract, Ms. Bone is truly in love with mushrooms. Her love and respect comes through quite beautifully, if you can get through all the scientific stuff, and all in all, it's a very cool book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mycophilia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marla (new)

Marla Not sure I will read it but if I come across some great mushrooms I will let you now. Happy New Year to you and Jane!

Nina Thanks, Marla, and a happy 2012 to you and your husband. I just started the Stephen King book. I was sitting in Mrs. Feinstein's art class, sophomore year at EHS, when the news came about JFK. What a horrible day that was.
Not sure what mushrooms might grow in Texas but I'll bet they're big.