Knigel Holmes's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Feb 13, 12

Read from January 01 to February 12, 2012

I grew up watching Ray Bradbury on television and recently have been going through and reading his short stories. I've had this book on my shelf for a while now, but never got around to reading it. I have finally finished it, and I really appreciate Fahrenheit's magnificent language and dystopic world. I'm fond of dystopic literature, and Bradbury is certainly one of the best examples of someone able to create a cautionary tale with enough hope to not become completely depressed after reading. One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is that Bradbury has been able to write about so many states of affairs that were not present during his time. I do not fully agree with his more pessimistic views on technology; however, he is correct in portraying much of the socio-cultural alienation and isolation that we all face today. Bradbury mentions that films such as Moulin Rouge is a perfect example of the breakdown of our attention spans, and with this I disagree. Our visual grammar has been changing quite rapidly, and there are aspects and concerns that we face, yet these types of films do not necessarily create an atmosphere of lessened learning and thought. Quick pace is not inherently mindless or any less inspirational. With that said, we do live in a world that may not be less active in its entirety, yet we do have broad pockets of technological seduction that lead many into passivity. We ought not be too hasty in generalising some more passive groups into wider society, yet Bradbury's warning is definitely applicable as we evaluate technological issues on modern life.

Overall, Fahrenheit 451 is fantastic and thought-provoking book that makes me want to not only read more, but practice memorising what I have read more thoroughly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.