Franjessca 's Reviews > The Second Son

The Second Son by Elise Marion

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: book-i-won, books-read-in-2012, e-book-i-own, favorite-books, historical-romance
Read from January 17 to 22, 2012

I was looking forward to reading the next book from Elise Marion's King of Cardenas Series. After reading "The Third Son" I fell in love with the world she created. I had never read Historical Romance before until I read "The Third Son." I don't know what I was thinking about avoiding the Genre...because now I can't get enough of it.
This book was about Serge and Isabelle. It picks up from where the last book left off. Serge was badly hurt in the last book and he was in coma. They never thought he would wake up...but he proved everyone wrong. The only person who really didn't give up him was Isabelle, his brother's wife (Lionus). Isabelle was his best friend and he always had feelings for her, but she was destined to be married to his older brother, Lionus. Isabelle never thought her world would thrown upside down though and she lost Lionus in the last book. In "The Second" Son, Isabelle is being forced to remarry so she can claim her throne in Barony. Who does everyone suggest she marry...but her best friend and her late husband's brother, Serge. Can she love him though like she did Lionus...the only way for you to find out is to read this book. =)
What I loved most about this book, was how strong a character Isabelle was. She was dealing with a lot during the beginning of the book and couldn't get over her husband Lionus. She had been mourning him for over a year and now she had to make a hard decision of re-marrying. How could she love someone again? Towards the end, she made a decision to become a stronger woman than anyone expected. She took it upon herself, to make Barony realize she would be amazing Queen to them and she wanted to take care of herself and not rely on someone else.
Elise Marion, brings two characters together after going through so much. She puts both the characters through tests that they must figure out how to get out. I don't know how many times, poor Serge had to put Isabelle in her place because of the dangers she put herself in. He just wanted to keep her safe and all Isabelle wanted to do was help.
I cried several times in this book because I felt so sorry for Serge in this book. The poor guy lost his brother, lost a year of his life and he loved a woman who really didn't know how to love him back. I also felt sorry for Isabelle because she had lost her husband, was being forced to re-marry and had to learn how to be fully a Queen. She broke Serge's heart so many times in this book too. I just wanted to jump in the book and tell her to WAKE up already.
This book is full of action packed love trials that will have you keep turning the page to read what comes next. You will cry, laugh, smile and get mad in certain parts of the book...but in the end, you will be amazed on the outcome like I was. I'm looking forward to the next book which will be about Esmeralda's cousin, Tatiana. ***You also get a glimpse on what happens to Tatiana in this book*** =)
So if you haven't read "The Third Son", yet you need to...so you can read "The Second Son".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Son.