Harriet 's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Jan 15, 12

Read on January 15, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

Quotes Harriet Liked

Rick Riordan
“She'd also called me brave...unless she was talking to the catfish.”

Rick Riordan
“I said hello to the poodle.”

“Names have power.”

Rick Riordan
“Suspecting and knowing are not the same.”

Rick Riordan
“The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.”

Rick Riordan
“Go on with what your heart tells you, or you will lose all.”

Rick Riordan
“It's useless to lecture a human.”

Rick Riordan
“Nothing like watching your relatives fight, I always say.”

Rick Riordan
“It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.”

Rick Riordan
“The sea does not like to be restrained. ”
tags: sea

Rick Riordan
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”

Rick Riordan
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.”

Rick Riordan
“Where's the glory in repeating what others have done?”

Rick Riordan
“Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.”

Rick Riordan
“The real world is where the monsters are.”

Rick Riordan
“What if it lines up like it did in the Trojan War ... Athena versus Poseidon?"
"I don't know. But I just know that I'll be fighting next to you."
"Why?"
"Because you're my friend, Seaweed Brain. Any more stupid questions?”

Rick Riordan
“He was slumped over, blood trickling from the side of his mouth. I shook his furry hip, thinking, No! Even if you are half barnyard animal, you're my best friend and I don't want you to die!”

Rick Riordan
“You drool when you sleep.”

Rick Riordan
“Number eight, the silver one, belongs to Artemis. She vowed to be a maiden forever. So of course, no kids. The cabin is, you know, honorary. If she didn't have one, she'd be mad.”

Rick Riordan
“Hades raised an eyebrow. When he sat forward in his throne, shadowy faces appeared in the folds of his black robes, faces of torment,as if the garment was stitched of trapped souls from the Fields of Punishment, trying to get out. The ADHD part of me wondered, off-task, whether the rest of his clothes were made the same way. What horrible things would you have to do in your life to get woven into Hades' underwear?”

Rick Riordan
“What horrible things would you have to do in your life to get woven into Hades' underwear?”

Rick Riordan
“My name is Percy Jackson.
I'm twelve years old. Until a few months ago, I was a boarding student at Yancy Academy, a private school for troubled kids in upstate New York.
Am I a troubled kid?
Yeah. You could say that.”

Rick Riordan
“It blew my mind that this stuff had survived for two thousand, three thousand years. ”

Rick Riordan
“Grover didn't say anything for awhile. Then, when I thought he was going to give me some deep philosophical comment to make me feel better, he said, "Can I have your apple?”

Rick Riordan
“I gave her my deluxe I'll-Kill-You-Later stare.”

Rick Riordan
“All I could think of was that the teachers must've found the illegal stash of candy I'd been selling out of my dorms room. Or maybe they'd realized I got my Essay on Tom Sawyer from the Internet without ever reading the book and now they were going to take away my grade. Or worse, they were going to make me read the book.”

Rick Riordan
“Words had started swimming off the page, circling my head, the letters doing one-eighties as if they were riding skateboards.”

Rick Riordan
“At the rear of the bus, the driver wrenched a big chunk of smoking metal out of the engine compartment. The bus shuddered, and the engine roared back to life.
The passengers cheered.
Darn right!" yelled the driver. He slapped the bus with his hat. "Everybody get back on board!”

Rick Riordan
“Gabe scratched his double chin. "Maybe if you hurry with the seven-layer dip...And maybe if the kid apologizes for interrupting my poker game."
Maybe if I kick you in your soft spot, I thought. And make you sing Soprano for a week.”

Rick Riordan
“We walked on the beach, fed blue corn ships to the seagulls, and munched on blue jelly beans, blue saltwater taffy and all the other free samples my mom brought home from work.
I guess I should explain the blue food.
See, Gabe had once told my mom there was no such thing. They had this fight, which seemed like a really small thing at the time. But ever since, my mom went out of her way to eat blue. She baked blue birthday cakes. She mixed blueberry smoothies. She bought blue-corn tortilla chips and brought home blue candy from the shop. ”

Rick Riordan
“Safety from what? Who's after me?"
Oh, nobody much," Grover said, obviously still miffed about the donkey comment. "Just the Lord of the Dead and a few of his blood-thirstiest minions.”

Rick Riordan
“Hey!" I screamed, waving the jacket, running to one side of the monster. "Hey, stupid! Ground beef!”

Rick Riordan
“I had weird dreams full of barnyard animals. Most of them wanted to kill me. The rest wanted food.”

Rick Riordan
“You're Dionysus," I said. "The god of wine."
Mr. D rolled his eyes. "What do they say these days, Grover? Do the children say 'Well duh!'?"
Y-yes, Mr. D."
Then, well, duh! Percy Jackson. Did you think I was Aphrodite, perhaps?"
You're a god."
Yes, child."
A god. You.”

Rick Riordan
“Once I got over the fact that my Latin teacher was a horse, we had a nice tour, though I was careful not to walk behind him. I'd done pooper-scooper patrol in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade a few times, and, I'm sorry, I did not trust Chiron's back the the way I trusted his front. ”

Rick Riordan
“Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and you could just see the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him, even though he only knew two songs: Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 12 and Hilary Duff's "So Yesterday," both of which sounded pretty bad on reed pipes.”

Rick Riordan
“Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.”

Rick Riordan
“Right," she said, "We're going to the Land of the Dead and I shouldn't think negative.”

“How did you die?"
"We er....drowned in a bathtub."
"All three of you?"
"It was a big bathtub.”

Rick Riordan
“You do know how to play pinochle?" Mr. D eyed me suspiciously.
"I'm afraid not," I said.
"I'm afraid not, sir," he said.
"Well," he told me, "it is, along with gladiator fighting and Pac-Man, one of the greatest games ever invented by humans. I would expect all civilized young men to know the rules.”

Braccas meas vescimini!"
I wasn't sure where the Latin came from. I think it meant 'Eat my pants!”

Rick Riordan
“Той ме погледна тъжно, сякаш мислеше какви цветя да избере на погребението ми.”

Rick Riordan
“Grover murmured, "Well, Percy, what have we learned today?"
That three-headed dogs prefer red rubber balls over sticks?"
No," Grover told me. "We've learned that your plans really, really bite!”

Rick Riordan
“his hair was permed and gelled like a New Jersey girl's on homecoming night.
Percy Jackson”

Rick Riordan
“Хей, тръстиковата ми флейта още е здрава!" - извика Гроувър. - "Ако успея да си спомня песента за намиране на пътека, ще се измъкнем от гората!"

Изсвири няколко тона, но мелодията подозрително наподобяваше Хилари Дъф.”

Rick Riordan
“Хей! - извика Гроувър. - Тя май припадна!
- Гррр! - обади се Медуза.
- Е, май не е - поправи се той и отново вдигна клона.”

Rick Riordan
“Look, I didnt want to be a half-blood.
If you're reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now. Believe whatever lie your mom and dad told you about your birth, and try to lead a normal life.
Being a half-blood is dangerous. It's scary. Most of the time, it gets you killed in painful nasty ways.
If you're a normal kid, reading this because you think it's fiction, great. Read on. I envy you for being able to believe none of this ever happened.
But if you recognize yourself in these pages-if you feel something stirring inside- stop reading immediately. You might be one of us. And once you know that, it's only a matter of time before THEY sense it too, and they'll come for you.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

-Percy Jackson”

Rick Riordan
“You assume that it has to be a male god who finds a human female attractive? How sexist is that?”

Rick Riordan
“The wood nymph instructors left me in the dust. They told me not to worry about it. They'd had centuries of practice running away from lovesick gods. But still, it was a little humiliating to be slower than a tree. ”