Shovelmonkey1's Reviews > Complicity

Complicity by Iain Banks

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: 1001-books, read-in-2012
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list and a previous encounter with Dead Air
Recommended for: gonzo lovers and people who like their anti heroes with a little speed frosting
Read from January 01 to 02, 2012 , read count: 1

Isn't it nice to read a novel where you're familiar with the landscape? Iain Banks makes me feel like I've come home with his descriptions of Edinburgh, the A9, Inchmickery and the Grassmarket and he even chucks in throw-away comments about places like Carnoustie (carousing on a computer spell check). This will mean nowt to those of you who've not been to Scotland but all of the places and many of the landscape props described by Banks are real, accurately described and correct in their geographical placements i.e. not brought closer together, pushed further apart or aged/renovated at the authors convenience to fit in with the plot.

Knowing that this aspect of Banks' work is accurate, well researched and true is therefore a comfort as it then lulls me into the secure belief that all aspects of his fiction are produced along similar parallels (any aliens/off-world dwellers out there care to comment on the accuracy of his sci-fi work?). For example, Cameron Colley: protagonist, gonzo journo - whispering prayers to the great St Hunter - coke snorting, drink fuelled, lady humping, cig toting, speed licking 1980/90s oober male. Bound to be totally accurate, right? Possibly. Anyway, Colley finds himself in the midst of what can only be described as a journalistic wet-dream when a story of such epic proportions (handily also helping to enlighten one on Banks' political leanings during the 1980s) basically turns up at his doorstep with a bow wrapped round and it and screams "Write me!" into his face. Little does Cameron know that there's another darker side to an already fairly sinister set of torture/murders and that he is about to become the all singing, all dancing star of the show.

I do actually know two bonafide journos, one of whom works for the BBC and the other works for The Times. I'll not name either of them here of course lest they seek some kind of goodreads super injunction, but tragically neither of them are particularly gonzo. I am yet to solicit their opinions on Cameron Colley but will keep you posted.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complicity.

01/01/2012 page 120
38.0% "I'm convinced I've read this before... but i only remember parts of it leading me to conclude i must have been more battered than Colley at the time of reading."

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Anyway, Colley finds himself in the midst of what can only be described as a journalistic wet-dream when a story of such epic proportions (handily also helping to enlighten one on Banks' political leanings during the 1980s) basically turns up at his doorstep with a bow wrapped round and it and screams "Write me!" into his face

Great paragraph. Brilliant

Shovelmonkey1 Thank you! It was an interesting read. Only my second banks but I have a few stacked on the pile.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Excellent Review! I'm overdue to read another Banks.

message 4: by Daniel (last edited Jan 06, 2012 06:47AM) (new)

Daniel Great review. I haven't read any of Banks's non-sci-fi stuff, yet; I may start here.

Shovelmonkey1 I've not read any of his sci-fi yet but I asked for and received Consider Phlebus for christmas so plan to get cracking on that sometime soon, and I have The Crow Road too.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel CP is good fun with a good measure of brutality mixed in to the proceedings. I recommend you follow that one up with the other early Culture books Player of Games and Use of Weapons; altogether, they have quite a few thematic connections.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

message 8: by Daniel (new)

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian GalaDali Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "coke snorting, drink fuelled, lady humping, cig toting, speed licking 1980/90s oober male."

I would have stopped aspiring to all of these characteristics ages ago, if I'd known you'd just dismiss me as an oober male ;)

Shovelmonkey1 Ah Ian, you should consider that you perhaps fall into my ideal male category - from an archaeologist perspective (and based on your avatar) you are at least 3345 years old which makes you immediately interesting to me and you are at the end of a very long invisible electronic string which means that you're not currently messing up my living room or kitchen as the actual mr monkey is prone to doing when he's around.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian GalaDali Ha ha, my secret's out of the bag, I am ancient, wise and tidy.

Perhaps, that's why my archaeological friends dig me.

If only you'd excavated a little to the south-east and a lot earlier, I could have been cooking dinner for you tonight.

Instead, we'll have to make do with relative dating and remote sensing from the comfort of our respective messy test pits.

Shovelmonkey1 Excellent archaeological punning sir.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian GalaDali They're just modest punctates on the ceramic vessels of cyberspace.