Jessica-Robyn's Reviews > Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1

Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 by Nobuhiro Watsuki

Jul 11, 14

bookshelves: graphics-manga-manhwa, historical-fiction, graphics-ya
Read in April, 2010

When I first began watching anime I started in the shonen genre, more specifically, the historical shonen genre. Because of this, Rurouni Kenshin was the go to recommendation when I started reading manga. I got to around volume six before I decided this just wasn't for me.

My reason for ultimately abandoning Rurouni Kenshin wasn't one of content or style, I liked the concept and art, but rather of substance. In the shonen genre I would consider Rurouni Kenshin to be one of the classics. So, if you're a fan of the classic one-on-one battles, then this would be your perfect fit. However, if you need a bit more going on in the background of those battles then this may be a harder sell.

Rurouni Kenshin is a longer series, clocking in at 28 volumes total, and with that knowledge you really have to be prepared to commit to it for it to pay off. For me, although I liked the first six volumes well enough they did not sell me on the overall series. The storytelling was simply too episodic for me to really get into the characters or any sort of potential story arc. I wanted to be taken along for a ride, but I ended up realizing that any plot was really just another way to get from one battle to the next.

With all that's out there waiting to be read I simply could not justify continuing with a series that didn't have me invested by volume six.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1.