Jenna's Reviews > First Date

bookshelves: arc-to-review, netgalley
Recommended for: Christians and non-Christians, YA Contemporary readers,
Read from January 05 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

Loved it!

Addy’s life is about to change. Forced into joining other 100 girls as contestants to be the President’s son’s prom date on a reality show is really not on her plan. From the first day, she’s determined to get out of it. But that’s not what God’s plan is for her.

I was also impressed with how the author made the background of Addy. Her parents are missionaries in Colombia who got killed when she was still 6 years old. Then on, her uncle Mike took care of her. Their relationship is really tight and wonderful, just how a Christian family must be. They’re not perfect, but I like their relationship. Especially Uncle Mike, his advices are God-centered, which really teaches us something.

Going into the “lion’s den” as Uncle Mike would put it, wasn’t easy for Addy. There were really many trials she faced. Mean persons were all around. “Mean” is an understatement actually, the producer was brutal and as expected there were many envious girls. Being trash talked and her reputation is always being ruined, but God is working amazingly in her life. Plus, as she stays and learns more about Jonathon, the Pres first son, she actually grows to like him.

The most important thing I love about the book is the lesson it gives to the readers. Even though this is fiction, but it conveys the reality clearly. From how we, Christians are judged because like it or not, many Christians, even famous ministers, live a life contradictory to how Jesus lived. Some are too preachy, and some are hypocrites. I love how Krista McGee presented that and somehow correcting the notion that a true Christian isn’t like that. It’s so sad that many Christians unknowingly taint the image of Christians to the world because of their wrong choices and how they live their life. Second, God works in mysterious ways and He has plans in our life. Cliche, I know, but it’s true. This, I think is the major plot in the story. God puts us in special places, and we may not know the reason now, but someday we will. Just as what happened in Addy’s life.

Lessons aside, the technicalities of the book is also great. Every end of the chapter presents an interview with each of the girls, and we see different personalities. Some clash, and some are compatible. I also love the part where lines from the diary of Addy’s mom. Very compelling. Also the story in itself is swoon-worthy and lovable. There were even some actions in it. it’s just so spontaneous but I love it!

First Date is a cute and quirky Christian YA fiction, that even nonChristians will love. It is not preachy, I tell you, but you’ll enjoy the story just as you’ll enjoy any other Contemporary YA fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Date.