Jay's Reviews > Good Omens

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

2419499
Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, deliciousness, historical-distant, historical-recent, philosophy-and-religion, redrum, tab-a-in-slot-b, ya
Read from January 01 to 07, 2012

This is a book I'd heard a lot about, even before Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had really registered on my radar. I'd never really wanted to go out and read it, simply because I never remembered it when I was at book stores. Hey, it wasn't even until I was rummaging through my partner's childhood bookshelf that I remembered that I'd figured I should go and read it. So I nicked it off the shelf and it lay in mine for many a dusty month until it was finally at the top of the list.

This is a very clever, and at times, very funny book. I actually found myself laughing out loud at parts- something I don't often do when reading. I read on Wikipedia (the source of all great and reliable knowledge) that when a movie of the book was being pitched that Robin Williams and Johnny Depp were considered for the roles of Aziraphale and Crowley respectively. Ever since reading that, I kept picturing those two actors as the characters, and I have to say, I do agree.

Many parts reminded me of Gaiman's Sandman series. Good verses evil, religious ideas, mythical gods. Lots of things covered in American Gods, too- one of my favourite books. I haven't read any of Pratchett's works, though, so I can't really compare. However, if you're a fan of Gaiman or styles similar to Gaiman and haven't read this yet... you really ought to.

I just have one quibble- I feel the writing started to fall apart a bit at the end. I never really warmed to Adam's voice/speech style, and his long speeches at the end... I think it really dragged the story and pace down. Everything felt quite rushed and smashed together, and, for me, it didn't really sit as well as I'd have liked it to. I did like the way the story resolved itself, though.

And if the ending implies what I think it implies... well, that's certainly dark and fitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

01/01/2012 page 9