Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > The Bargain

The Bargain by Desiree Holt

Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: erotic, contemporary, anal-play-sex, m-f
Read in October, 2011

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Tara McKee's life is about to be changed beyond anything she could possibly imagine. The gorgeous, lonely-but-finished-with-love widow; a competent secretary in a hugely successful construction company is about to get an offer that this childless, isolated woman cannot refuse from her boss, Cole Cassidy. The bargain: a marriage of convenience which will make her the surrogate mother to an adorable baby and assure permanent financial security for her and her parents.

Cole, who lost his wife months before, hasn't been able to look at the baby left in his care ever since. The reasons for his attitude are a mystery that he firmly guards at all costs. Lost in the agony of his grief, he wants someone who will bring order to his life and a mother to his child. His rules include a 'no intimacy' clause.

When Tara sees the beautiful baby girl so neglected and alone, she agrees to his bargain and moves into his sprawling home immediately. What she doesn't bargain for is the intense attraction and strong emotions she has for the black eyed, ruggedly handsome, lean and muscular six-foot-four-sexy-man that she marries within a week. The desire the two have for each other leads them through a minefield of erotic fantasies and carefully guarded feelings of growing passion as they dutifully stand by their bargain of a sexless marriage on into many months.

The secret star of the story is baby Molly. I love the way Ms. Holt made her the sweet key to the complicated problem the two lovers managed to construct. This is a tender, emotionally inspiring story of the creative and healing powers of love. Especially the love for a child. The sensitive way Ms. Holt brought about the opening of Cole's wounded heart over time was beautiful and inspired hope. While this isn't a new tale in romantic literature, Ms. Holt made it fresh and appealing with her irresistible story telling and realistically modern scenarios.

This lovely and absorbing tale is both a vividly erotic steaming-hot read and a sentimental tear jerker. Ms. Holt writes sex scenes that scorch the ink off the pages. The only reason I didn't rate this story higher were the editing errors in the book. While it didn't distract from my enjoyment of the story, I feel that it did reflect negatively on the publisher. While I'm saddened that such a wonderful story wasn't given the editorial 'respect' that it deserved, I still do not hesitate to heartily recommend, The Bargain to all romance readers. This endearing story covers all the bases with a sweetly sophisticated and uplifting clarity and openness. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bargain.