Mimi Smith's Reviews > Archangel's Storm

Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh

Jul 16, 14

bookshelves: pnr
Read from September 04 to 05, 2012

Well... This did not go the way I wanted it to. As in, I didn't love it the way I expected to, the way I loved all the books in the series. I still liked it plenty, though and seeing all the characters again was amazing and NS can write. But... *sigh* It was slow. And while I like mystery books, something here just didn't get me anxious to read on. Also, I didn't connect with Jason the way I hoped. I was so intrigued by him. Still am, but... I don't know, I can't formulate my feelings clearly.

So, the beginning sees Jason at the wedding of Dmitri and Honor. Love and joy is in the air, but he feels separate, the coldness in him born of suffering. The news of the death of Neha's consort arrive and Jason is on his way to her territory to investigate and keep the balance of power. But, to freely investigate he has to bind himself to Mahiya, Neha's not-so-beloved niece. Pretty soon Jason starts feeling intrigued by Mahiya, her quiet strength and kindness that defied the poison of Neha's court. But the pain is strong, and the chains of the past not so easily broken, even the songs long extinguished...

"Once, he’d used it in song, but the songs in his heart had gone silent long ago, and he knew that one day so would his voice. A man who had nothing inside him eventually had nothing to say."

“The only songs in my heart were ones that made the Refuge drown in tears. So I stopped.”

"But Jason was almost seven hundred years old, understood what drove him—he’d looked into the abyss of his soul, seen the lonely, forgotten boy looking back at him. He knew that boy trusted no one and nothing, knew he looked upon any kind of an emotional bond with suspicion, expected nothing but pain from any such relationship. That boy, he was so afraid. It was a truth about himself Jason had come to terms with long ago."

Mahiya has nightmares of her own. Conceived in an act of betrayal she was punished and hated for it. Now, she's close to an escape. And the spymaster Jason may be just the angel to help her achieve the dream. And so, as death drenches Neha's palace and secrets and pains from long ago are revealed... What can they do but try to get to the bottom of it? And fall in love, healing each others pain.

“I have so much love inside me, Jason. So much. And I have never been allowed to shower it on anyone—no one has wanted it. Let me stretch the wings of my heart with you.”

I did like both Mahiya and Jason, but... you know. Also, in world-terms this book also set many things in motion. Great many things changing and we only have the hint of what may come. For all of them.

So, nearly all of my boys popped up here. They are still beyond amazing, mind-blowing, fascinating. Take your pick.

So, bits and pieces of them...

Raphael

"All ascensions to the Cadre initiated worldwide phenomena that could not be ignored, as if the archangels were locked into the very fabric of the planet. On the day that Raphael crossed the border, the seas had turned a violent, impossible blue, as had every river and every lake across the world. Even the rain that fell from the sky was a glorious gemstone blue, and when it shattered, it left behind a sparkling residue, faceted diamond dust in the palm."

Dmitri and Honor(who were very present here, working out their future)

“Dream of me.”
“As if,” she whispered with a sleepy smile, “I would dream of anyone else.”

Aodhan

"Before the other angel could continue, a butterfly, its wings an unabashed red dotted with saffron yellow, alighted on Aodhan’s shoulder. Another followed a second later, its markings more modest, its wingspan larger. Aodhan looked at them, and for a fleeting instant, he was a young angel again, woefully embarrassed by his most curious of abilities.
“It’s as if they can smell me,” he muttered, but didn’t brush the delicate creatures away. Instead, he lifted a finger, and a third butterfly appeared out of the sky to alight on it, this one with wings of creamy sunset. “Illium says that perhaps I can use them to flutter someone to death.”

And my Illium <3

“Dmitri.” Golden eyes fringed with black lashes tipped in blue met his. “Take care of Honor. I promise I won’t burn down the Tower in your absence—I don’t know why everyone got so excited about a little smoke.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Storm.

Comments (showing 1-32)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 32: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri Great review Mimi, I thought the ending was a little off.

message 31: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Keri wrote: "Great review Mimi, I thought the ending was a little off."

Thanks! Well... I liked it actually. Not all is resolved and perfect, but they're together and they love each other and their story might be continued as a side story in one of the latter books. And even if it doesn't I'm fine with it.

message 30: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri That is what I am hoping that we some some side story with these two, kind of like Dmitri and Honor.

message 29: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Keri wrote: "That is what I am hoping that we some some side story with these two, kind of like Dmitri and Honor."

Yeah, maybe in the next book :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Mimi wrote: Not all is resolved and perfect, but they're together and they love each other and their story might be continued as a side story in one of the latter books. And even if it doesn't I'm fine with it. ..."

I loved the ending. By then I was feeling their connection. Hopefully Nalini gives them some storyline in following books so we can see them grow. (Dmitri and Honor got plenty of time in Jason's book.)

What seemed off in this book is their connection at the beginning. It felt false. After hundreds of years of spying Jason never met a woman who was more than she seems. It would have been more plausible to use the blood binding as a catalyst. As it is, Jason and Mahiya didn't give off any sparks. :(

This was a hard book to get through. It seemed pretty boring 3/4 of the book. It hits its high note with a revelation and is really intense from that point on. Anyway, Jason's metamorphosis should continue throughout the series. I want to see his progress.

We both gave this book 3.5 stars. My rating reflect 3 stars because while the last part was great it doesn't make-up for the slow (and boring) parts. : /

message 27: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "Mimi wrote: Not all is resolved and perfect, but they're together and they love each other and their story might be continued as a side story in one of the latter books. And even if it doesn't I'm..."

Hmm, you have a point about the beginning. I don't know, I didn't notice that/ I was just glad something was happening between them.

Yeah, hte book has less action than the previous ones, it's focused on the mystery and... I don't know.

I gave it "4" stars because I still liked the writing and the world and by the end I could see the two of them as a couple, even if I didn't feel it with them while reading the book.

SheLove2Read Spot on review.

message 25: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Sherri of A Thousand Books wrote: "Spot on review."

Thanks. :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparison to Dmitri's novel which was BRILLIANT. I honestly cannot wait for Elena and Raphael's.

message 23: by Mimi (last edited Nov 19, 2012 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparison to Dmitri's novel which was BRILLIANT. I honestly canno..."

Unfortunately...yes. the writing was still good, but the story itself wasn't as captivating for me. And, I can't wait for their book either. Not sure whose book is next, though... Has NS confirmed anything yet?

message 22: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review,Mimi!!:)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Love your review Mimi, can't wait to get to this series :)

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Dd wrote: "Great review,Mimi!!:)"

Thanks!

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Blacky wrote: "Love your review Mimi, can't wait to get to this series :)"

Huh, didn't see this comment. And, oh, Blacky you haven't read this series?! It's great, I love it a lot. The characters and the world really grow on you. :D

Blacky *Romance Addict* I'm definitely planning to, love love love Nalini Singh!!

message 17: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Blacky wrote: "I'm definitely planning to, love love love Nalini Singh!!"

Then you're probably going to love this series :)
It's got a darker feel to it than Changelings/Psy series. More painful and brutal, but I like that too. Emotional aspect of it touched me deeper here.

So, I can't wait for you to read it, too!

Blacky *Romance Addict* :D Oh nice :) I think my brain is getting used to darker stuff now, finally eheheheh :D

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Blacky wrote: ":D Oh nice :) I think my brain is getting used to darker stuff now, finally eheheheh :D"

Right! Well, you've read Special Forces. That's like an extreme-in everything! This should be safe after all that. And written lovely, too.

Can't wait for the next book!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparison to Dmitri's novel which was BRILLIANT. ..."

Well for me the moments that captivated me was mostly between the heightened tension and story between the sisters themselves.

As far as I can remember, Nalini HAS CONFIRMED that there will be more of ElenaXRapahael that their story has yet to end but an official release not yet confirmed :\

Thought I'm quite desperate for their book, I really want one for Illium. I know eventually there will be a book for him but I'm just so impatient. Reminds me of BlayXQuinn from JR Ward's BDB all over again.

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparison to Dmitri's novel which wa..."

Yes, that was a part of the book I enjoyed as well.
I thought she'd confirmed it. I was just curious whether she had announced dates, or who's gonna be in the next one.

Illium? yeah, me too. out of the Seven he's the one I most look forward to reading about. Aodhan, so far is the second in my expectancy index. As for Qhuay, too much angst all around. I was all aglow for their book two books ago, but now I'm not so much. I'm still glad, just not so much. Plus, Layla, blah, I seriously dislike her.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparison to Dmitri'..."

Illium such a sweetheart I will thoroughly love the book of his. Hopefully, he'll be paired with a herione that is likable.

Really? There's still that hype for me for Qhuay probably because I'm all about angst and drama. Layla I have mixed opinions and emotions in regards to her. She's not particularly a character I like though. Too meek.

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragged on in comparis..."

Sorry to respond late, was away for the weekend.

I've always adored Illium. I hope his book fulfills my expectations :). And his heroine... God, i can't even imagine. I know he has a fascination for mortals, so maybe it'll be cool to see him paired off with someone not human? Dunno, guess we'll see. Hopefully soon!

Angst and drama does it for me, too, but in small doses. This all was just too much for me. And now there has to be a baby. I can't even imagine an ideal ending to that. And frankly, I mostly hated Layla because of Qhuay, now she'd just a part of a plot twist I'm not fond of. I'll probably be excited when it comes out, I'm just not contemplating it now. *shrug*.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectations and dragge..."

Oh yes he does. I would love to learn more about the mortal that he once loved but died.

Well the baby was off putting I must admit. As long as Qhuay eventually ends up with Blay all is well. At the moment, there's no book that I'm super keen to get my hands on after Melina Marchetta's Lumatere Chronicles.

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short to my expectatio..."

Yes, that will be one of the main emotional conflicts in this book when it comes to Illium. That and his infatuation with Elena, maybe?

Right... I hope J.R. Ward convinces me of the whole thing.
Super keen? Hmm, two books come to mind. The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz and book 3 of the series by Laini Taylor. I loved Quintana of Charyn, but not as much as Froi's book. This felt a bit choppy with all the viewpoints.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell somewhat short ..."

For sure yes its been highlighted in some aspects of the series so far Illium's infatuation with Elena.

I'll be sure to check it out. In contrast to you, I enjoyed reading Quintana of Charyn as much as Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exile though heavy with drama fall short compared to those two for me.

I guess its because all the loose ties all came together especially with the relationship between Lucian and his wife as well as the twists that come to make sense. But one aspect of Froi's book that I've been waiting all along after Finnikin's book was the continuation of Trevanion and his wife.

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books were this fell so..."

With Froi... yes, it is drama, which I don't usually like... But it's also the intensity, the breathless anticipation as to what comes next, I was in it for the whole haul. I liked Finnikin, but didn't get as emotionally involved, and in Quintana I found my mind wandering off while reading. Just didn't absorb me. It was still a 5 star read :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the previous books w..."

We observe the moments very differently though our love for the series is the same undying one. I thought Froi's book was somewhat a bit too long. Interesting! Emotionally and mentally, my mind was absorbed in the world of Lumatere through Finnikin's experiences and the massacre of the royal family. Of course :)
I can not fathom why Lumatere Chronicles is so disappointingly so unappreciated and lacks the recognition it deserves.

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite how great the pre..."

Ah the beauty of books... Even with the books we like, we appreciate in different ways :)

I'm surprised at the lack of recognition, too. I'd think the series, and MM in general would be uch more popular. Her writing is MUCH better than at least 90% of YA books, yet isn't as well known. One of the world's mysteries, I guess.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! That despite h..."

Words that accurately describes MM's works as opposed to the many typical YA books!

Yes, it astounds me the sort of cliched and overrated YA books out there and a series such as Lumatere Chronicles that goes unnoticed and left on the shelves. It does not come cheap but it is worth every cent. Its appalling and sad but such things some unfairness remains to be 'one of the world's mysteries.'

I'm now convinced that MM's should undertake more historical, fantasy romance genres books. Its where I find that her books with their heart gripping synopsis and immersing characters truly reaches out to readers and leave a lasting impression.

Yet, this can also be as to the fact that she's an AUSTRALIAN author which I'm very proud of being an Asian Aussie, the coverage is limited I guess that way in contrast to American authors.

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt the very same! T..."

Yes it is appalling. I'm actually lucky I discovered her work. I haven't even heard of her and a friend who adored Jellicoe Road bugged me to read it. I was kind of reluctant because it seemed quintessentially different and very confusing at first, but I ended up loving it. And so i started this fantasy series and voila, I fell in love :)

Yes, I think so as well, I like them more than her contemporary books.

I guess it's possible... But then again, Nalini Singh is from New Zealand and she managed to get her books out and she became as well known as USA authors. I hope it happens to MM as well.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "i felt ..."

SAME! A bestfriend of mine loves Jellicoe Road to bits and had read Finnikin's book and its to her that I'm forever thankful (though i would never admit it to her). The prologue? Yes at first but it worked on me. I love the tragedy of it all that started everything that we came to know.

Learn something new everyday don't we. Probably her popularity in the US is also as a result of her genre which is usual paranormal, fantasy thrown in with some spicy good romance series XD.

We can only wish for the best for MM and continue to praise her works to all that we know, trust me, I do my best. So far, I have only effectively recommended the serie to 4 friends (they all love it) as unfortunately most my friends do not read... Personally, I think they are missing out on the world of literature ;)

Mimi Smith Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Vanessa wr..."

Yes, the prologue and the first 50 or more pages. I felt so lost, like there was a prequel I'd missed or a rulebook or something. Later on, it all made sense and I loved he book, but at the beginning-confounding.

Could be :)

Yep, I express my love enough0mostly on Goodreads. Very, very few of my friends read and those who do read completely different things(my sister excluded). I hope someday MM gets to be, like, a superstar. With movies and all. Jellicoe would make a great movie. And Lutamare an awesome series!