Erika's Reviews > To Catch an Heiress

To Catch an Heiress by Julia Quinn

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: historical, shame-on-the-heroes, dishonor-on-the-heroine, romance, auto-buy-author, godzilla-facepalm
Read from March 06 to 09, 2012

two disappointed, exhausted kitties

pule
(verb). 1. To cry in a thin or weak voice, as a child. 2. To pipe plaintively, as a chicken.

This book have a lot of moments that made me want to pule.
-From the personal dictionary of Caroline Trent myself

Where should I start? The first issue I noticed was the writing. Something went wrong with JQ's writing in this book. I never felt this way before with another books by her. It failed to enhance the characters, the dialogues was somehow dull, I didn't feel the tension and emotions, even the romantic words didn't feel romantic at all to me. I still found -although just a few- hilarious scenes and dialogues which reminded me that it is a JQ's. But despite the perfect grammar, the writing was simply plain. I didn't know exactly where was the problem. It could be punctuations, words choosing, or maybe both. I just felt like I wasn't reading one of JQ's. And Caroline, the heroine, annoyed me so much with her special skill in conversations:

"I've been after you for nearly a year," he said sharply. That got her attention.
"You have?"
"Not that I knew who you were until last month. But now that I've got you, I'm not letting you go."
"You're not?"

"What are you grinning about?" he asked.
"Me?" she gulped.
Blake looked at her oddly. "You look somewhat disturbed."
"I do?"

If it had happened only once or twice, I would have found it amusing. But it happened over and over and over again. It was a torture.

The story started off pretty well. My first impression of Caroline was good. She was strong and cheerful woman with no lady-like attitude and razor-tongued mouth. She has a unique hobby which I liked about her. She likes to write every new words in her vocabulary. We can find one word at the beginning of each chapter. Blake, on the other hand, was a tortured hero who failed miserably to me. He was afraid to love because he's been blaming himself for the death of his fiancee five years ago. My problem was, he wasn't just afraid to fall in love but he's also vowed not to get married. Blake thinks he had failed to protect his fiancee when she was alive, so now he wouldn't fail her in her death with marrying another woman who happens to be alive!

As the story went along, I was starting to find a bunch of issues with the characters as in the romance. I didn't buy the romance. Caroline falls in love with Blake very fast, merely a week after their first encounter. A week full of charades. First, Blake misunderstood her as a spy. The only person to blame was himself because when he caught her, he didn't give her a chance to introduce herself. She tried to explain, he didn't want to listen, and -of course- she didn't try harder. Second, Caroline has this stupid idea of non-stop coughing all night long to make her throat sore and lost her voice. That way she won't be able to answer any questions when Blake wants to interrogate her. In the middle of this charades, Caroline falls in love. I didn't believe it.

So, the 'playful' romance between I-don't-want-to-but-I'm-already-falling-for-you-but-I-just-can't-marry-you HERO and I-love-you-though-you-keep-hurting-me-I-can't-resist-you-anyway HEROINE was getting to my nerves and evoking HARMFUL emotions. They were happily driving me mad, and finally brought themselves AND ME to the DISASTROUS UNBELIEVABLE PLOT.

I have good reasons why I said that. It was terribly forced. I found more than one reason -or may I say- facts of why I thought the plot didn't need to happen. As if it wasn't hard enough for me to believe, Blake and Caroline made it even worse. All I can say is (1) I will never, ever, like a hero who treats his woman with no respect and he doesn't even realize it. (2) Neither will I ever like a heroine who is blind enough with love to see it. The subplots near the ending also involved incompetent villains. This was why I needed a long... long time, struggling to finish the last 20% of the book.

I started reading this book with high expectations because I've read How to Marry a Marquis -the second book of this series- and I loved it so much. It had such a simple story with heartwarming romance, lovable characters, and laugh out loud moments. Blake and Caroline made their appearance there, they had been lovely. Sadly, I have to say that the only character whom I truly loved and seemed normal in this book was James Sidwell, Blake's bestfriend, the hero in HTMAM. I actually liked Perriwick, one of Blake's servant. He was hilarious. But I found there was a weird thing going on among the servants in Blake's house. It was hard to believe that because they have a fondness toward Caroline, they cook delicious and proper foods for Caroline and Caroline alone. In other words, the servants abandon their master and his family to starve. I didn't think it was funny or amusing. It was just ridiculous.

Overall, I couldn't rate it higher than two stars when the only enjoyable feeling I had from reading the whole book was from the hero's bestfriend and the epilogue. This book was very disappointing to me... But things like this happens. I'm a fan of JQ. One disappointment couldn't change that.

be-a-ti-fic (adjective). Making blessed, imparting supreme happiness.

Although I was disappointed, I still have a beatific expression on my face when I remember Julia Quinn's books often give me great times.
-From the personal dictionary of Caroline Trent myself

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Catch an Heiress.

03/04/2012
1.0% "Wooohoo! back to JQ! Preparing my self for many laugh out loud funny moments."
03/05/2012
4.0% "Finally, back to reading romance."
03/05/2012
32.0% ""Miss Trent, it clearly reflected the hand of one with a rare sense of the aesthetic, true brilliance, and just a touch of whimsy." Blake looked as if he might happily boot his butler clear to London. "Perriwick, Miss Trent is not a candidate for sainthood." "Sadly, no," Perriwick admitted."Not, however, that I have ever considered the church to be of impeccable judgment." (Perriwick, you're the funniest butler!)"
03/05/2012
40.0% "I'm not getting into Blake and Caroline quite well. This is fun but I need more than just fun."
03/06/2012
72.0% "James burst out. "Stop being so damned afraid. You're afraid of loving, you're afraid of living. The only bloody thing you're not afraid of is death. I'll give you one night. One only. To make up your mind. But I promise you this: I will marry Caroline if you don't. So ask yourself if you'll be able to bear that for a lifetime." (Oh I love you James! Even when you're not the hero in this book you're still the best!)"
03/07/2012
81.0% "Noooooo_O! Blackout?! my tablet is running out of battery?! 5% left, the screen is so friggin' dim, and I'm almost finish.. arrrrgh! *speedy reading and laser eyes activated*" 33 comments
03/07/2012
82.0% "No. Way. Unbelievable. Is this really the plot? I need a gun." 9 comments
03/07/2012
84.0% "Blake, R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Women need to be treated with respect either in actions or in words. Caroline, no matter how much you love him, do NOT shut your brain down! *deep breath* Thought I've had enough break to calm my nerves. I was wrong. Photobucket"
03/08/2012
85.0% "Oh please Caroline, I don't wanna hear another "I Do?" from you! One more time and I'll stop reading."
03/09/2012
95.0% "Almost done... Photobucket" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rane For JQ it can be a hit or miss sadly..*hugs*

message 2: by Erika (last edited Mar 09, 2012 07:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika I've never had a JQ's rated two stars before this. Thanks for the hug sweetie, yeah I needed it. So sad

By the way Rane, I'm reading Monstrumologist! lol..

Rane *raises hand* The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever & a close second Brighter Than the Sun by JQ are two books I rated real low by her. I wanted to pull my hair out by Miss.Miranda and the asshat that was the hero!

Good luck with the Monstrumologist! *hides*

message 4: by Erika (last edited Mar 10, 2012 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika Rane wrote: "I wanted to pull my hair out by Miss.Miranda and the ass..."

I think this is the first time you showed some meanie Rane! LOL... You got me there, I loved the book, lol.. It made me laughed so very much, while the ending cost me lots of tissues ;p So you may give the hero the wrath of Rane but don't be so meanie with Miranda cuz I kinda felt some empathy toward her :D Haven't read BTTS yet, what went wrong with it? It's on my tbr.

Still on chapter 2 with Monstrumologist, got distracted with Jill Shavis romance. It's interesting, you know, the mystery is promising. Get you to think a lot. And it's a good horror. You'll love it. Of that I have no doubt ;)

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Great review Erika!.....you finally got there in the end, I know this book was painful for you and I know how frustrated you were with it but at least now it's done!

Loved the pictures in your review but especially loved the kitty :)

Rane Erika wrote: "Rane wrote: "I wanted to pull my hair out by Miss.Miranda and the ass..."

*LOL* Yes, when meanie weenie Rane comes out beware, I make kittens laugh at me trying to be scary ;P
Miranda didn't bother as much as Turner did with what he put not only her but his whole family through.
BTTS was a strange- because everyone got hurt so many times! O_O; It was like some accident prone bad romance that just never really stuck with me.
I loved Everything and the Moon but many JQ readers like one better then the other ^^;

Erika @Mary: Yeah girl, so BAD (see I was crying up there? ;p) But seriously, bad for me, except James. He's always adorable.

@Dee: Thank you Dee.. you're my patience guru, remember? :D

@Rane: Do you know that JQ was having difficult times when she wrote BTTS? She said that was the reason there are quite a lot injuries in the book. And Rane, don't you think I'm kidding cuz it's the truth! I read about it somewhere... Amazon, I think. On her profile.

Erika Thanks Baba sweet

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Erika wrote: "@Rane: Do you know that JQ was having difficult times when she wrote BTTS? She said that was the reason there are quite a lot injuries in the book. And Rane, don't you think I'm kidding cuz it's the truth! I read about it somewhere... Amazon, I think. On her profile"

hehehe Yes I do BELIEVE YOU! *hugs*

message 11: by Erika (last edited Mar 15, 2012 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika Rane wrote: "I still think all the accidents and injuries in the book kinda bummed the overall story and making it kinda unbelievable- maybe a major injury and having one or the other nursing the other and getting to know one another is more one the believable side"

Think I got it. I guess it won't be one of my priorites on my tbr list. Thx for the warning meanie weenie Rane ;p