Jessica (My Not So Vacant Shelf)'s Reviews > Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Jan 01, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

I saw someone review it before it was out and they rated it a 5/5. So I figured they couldn’t me way off and decided to read it.

Good:
Jordan: She’s pretty awesome...insecure like majority of girls are but strong. She knows what she wants when it comes to her future and her favourite sport and works her butt off for it. She is definitely a new kind of character. I’ve never read about a female athlete in an all boys (basically) sport.

Jordan struggles with being a girl in an all-boy sport and on top of that she’s captain of her team. Let’s add a little pressure with her father being a top NFL player and then throw in the fact that he doesn’t support her and she’s a pretty inspiring character. And of course by the end of the book she is basically the same old Jordan but at the same time a whole new character as she’s torn down the brick wall that she always had.

Ty: He sounds pretty hot, although a little macho and of course is one of the reasons Jordan starts to crack because he threatens her position and her heart.

Henry: by far the second best character in the book. He is hilarious, hot, and just plain awesome. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things he said and can just picture this fool walking around acting all motherly to their plastic child.

Bad:
There wasn’t really anything wrong with this book. The only thing I found odd was how many times Jordan pushed Ty away when it was pretty apart to everyone that he liked her. Either Jordan was oblivious or super scared to kiss a boy but really I think that was the only thing unrealistic about this book.

There was something else: If I caught it correctly and Ty did what I think he did with Kristen before he started dating Jordan but while he liked her well that doesn’t say that much about his character and I have no clue how Jordan could have gone out with him.

Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall this was an awesome book. The story line was great the characters were well developed and very different from each other. I could actually picture each character and they seemed pretty realistic like they were someone I knew from high school.
I was actually quite happy that Kenneally was brave enough to touch on the subject of sex and how sexually active teenagers really are. She didn’t sugar coat it which made it seem comforting as this wasn’t some complete fluff piece. This book was emotional (I cried a bit), inspirational, and funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Jordan.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Miranda Kenneally
“Now that we all have partners, all husbands should come pick up their
projects."
Pick up our project? Shrugging, I stand up and stretch my arms. Henry also stands. "No way, dude," I say. "I'm the man in this relationship."
"Oh yeah, absolutely," he says, grinning. He sits back down as I walk to the closet to see this project, which turns out to be one of those fake
electronic babies. Oh good God. Ms. Bonner hands me a fake baby boy. The doll has these creepy glass eyes that look like they’re staring straight
into my soul. I hold the doll out in front of me like it's a flaming bag of poo and carry it back to Henry.
"Congratulations, Mommy," I say, dropping the doll into his hands. You could've told me I knocked you up.”

Miranda Kenneally
“Congratulations, Mommy," I say, dropping the doll into his hands. "You could've told me I knocked you up."
"My bad. I thought you'd force me to get an abortion," Henry replies, taking the baby and cradling it as if it's real. "He has your eyes, Woods."
"And your hair." The doll is bald. "Can we name him Joe Montana?"
"Hells no, his name is Jerry Rice."
"No, his name is Joe Montana."
"I was in labor with him for fourteen hours!" Henry exclaims as he rocks the baby back and forth. “His name is Jerry Rice."
I grin. "Fine.”

Miranda Kenneally
“Shut up!" Henry says, "You're going to wake up Jerry Rice."
"Jerry Rice?" Carter says, covering his mouth with a hand. I don't think I've ever seen Carter laugh so hard.
"Carter, would you like to be the godfather?" Henry asks. "You know, in case anything happens to me and Woods this week?"
"Charming," Carter says. "I''d be honored. Does JJ get to be godmother?"
"Obviously," I say.
"Can I hold Jerry Rice?" JJ asks. "He''s so cute."
"No way, man," I reply. "I don't want to wake that thing up before practice. We'll be late if we have to feed it."
"What does it eat?" Carter asks.
"I have to breast-feed, cause I'm the mom," Henry says, continuing to push the stroller toward the locker room.
"Actually," I say, "It eats a metal rod, made out of, like, lead. So basically, we're learning how to poison babies."
"Radical," JJ says as we approach the gym,”

Miranda Kenneally
“Yo, guys," Ty says, peering down into the stroller. "What the hell is that thing? Satan's spawn?"
"You'd better watch it!" Henry says. He puts on a serious face, throws an arm around my shoulders, and pulls me in close. "That's our child you're
talking about."
Ty smiles, then looks at Jerry Rice. "Its eyes are seriously creeping me out. And I knew something was going on between you two."
"You're right," Henry says. "Woods is my husband, and I'm her wife.”

Miranda Kenneally
“Woods? Do you have a sec?" Ty asks.
"Sure."
"Alone?" Ty eyes Henry and Jerry Rice, and I jerk my head at Henry.
"Fine," Henry says, rolling his eyes. "Divorce me if you must, Woods. I can't believe I've only been married half an hour and I'm already a single
parent." Ty holds the door to the gym open so Henry can get the stroller through. I giggle at the sight of him carrying those diaper bags across the
gym.”

Miranda Kenneally
“Henry looks from my face back to the field, and his eyes pop open wide. I turn to see why he's gaping: JJ and Carter are messing around, trying
to shove a scrawny wide receiver into Jerry Rice's stroller.
"JJ!" Henry yells, "You can't fit a freshman in that stroller.”
Miranda Kenneally, Catching Jordan

message 1: by Readingmanaic (new)

Readingmanaic well you probably haven't watched zoey 101 or read alot of paranormal books cause most of the time the girl worries the guy doesn't like her on example is everneath the girl being Niki is oblivous to Jake loving her and worries he never will so I dont mean to be rude or any thing but I find that it is a realistic story line. :) AMAZING REVIEW THOUGH !_!