Erika's Reviews > How to Marry a Marquis

How to Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: historical, best-of-heroes, cheer-me-up, favorites, romance, auto-buy-author, ladies-of-quality
Recommended for: everyone who needs to laugh
Read from February 04 to 05, 2012, read count: 2

(Edited: spoiler deleted scene - copied from JQ's website - at the end of this review. Another lovely epilogue)

I have no doubt that Julia Quinn is the queen of historical romance to me. This book gave me a great time (I was ill when I read this). It had quite a simple and common story with predictable plot and yet I ended up loving it. Tons of laughter guaranteed!
“I offered to burn the book, if you recall. I told you it was utter nonsense." He glared at her, and when that didn't cause her to quake in her shoes, he glared at Blake and Caroline. That also seemed to have no effect, so he turned back to Elizabeth and yelled, "For the love of God, woman, there's only one rule in that bloody book worth following."
"And that is?" Elizabeth asked disdainfully.
"That you marry your damned marquis!"

The source of all the troubles is How To Marry A Marquis, a guidebook which provides information the ladies need to know to snare an aristocrat. Elizabeth Hotchkiss thinks it might help her to find a wealthy husband who can save her family from poverty. Her fourteen years old sister comes with the idea that Elizabeth should begin practicing her new skills (based on those silly rules in the silly guidebook) on James Sidwell a.k.a James Siddons, Lady Danbury's new estate manager. That's when all the fun begin.

JQ somehow successfully managed a romance theme which might have sounded excessively light into something meaningful. I fell in love with the couple in an instant. James and Elizabeth both came from noble families and had lost their parents in some tragic ways. The difference was as the only child James was left with his family’s great fortune and the title as Marquis of Riverdale, while Elizabeth’s parents left her with three younger siblings and no money at all. Regardless of what happened in the past, James and Elizabeth are kind and so adorable. With these types of H and h, instead of bored they entertained me and warmed my heart. Elizabeth's innocence, ingeniousness, and clumsiness drive James insane. James also has the confidence and charm which make him irresistible. But when she's in danger, he can easily changes from angel to devil.

The romance was rich. Emotionally rich. It was about learning how to trust, to accept someone for what they really are, and to forgive when it hurts knowing that the one who loves you never meant to hurt you. I always admire if a fast-paced romance can keep it's pace with more precious elements rather than overusing sexual tension. So if you're looking for smokin' hot romance with lots of sex, you won't find it here. James and Elizabeth will make you laugh and sad and laugh so much more until you're screaming and begging for them to make love. And when they finally did, I wasn't disappointed at all.
"Oh, Elizabeth," he murmured, leaning down to press a gentle kiss on her mouth, "I love you so much. You must believe me."
"I believe you," she said softly, "because in your eyes, I see what I feel in my heart."

Other characters were as lovely as the main two. So glad I met Lady Danbury again! She played an important role in this story. If James and Elizabeth don't make you laugh loud enough, Lady Danbury will. If she doesn't, the cute three younger Hotchkiss siblings will do. If they don't, the couple from the previous book (which I haven't read yet) Blake & Caroline will. And even if they all fail to make you laugh (hardly) there's still Malcolm! I loved them all...

The character Malcolm, Lady Danbury's overweight kitty was based on real kitty.

Source: Author's website.

The epilogue was a great finishing touch. Simple, unique, very funny, and extremely sweet. From all romance books I've ever read so far there were two with the best epilogue, One Night with the Rebel Billionaire and Dangerous Passion. How To Marry A Marquis makes it three.

Had a bad day? Or just want to read a light romance with some qualities? Try this and let a bunch of friggin' hilarious lovers, families, and bestfriends share some laughter and happiness with you.

********************************************************************

From the author's website:

Deleted scene from How to Marry a Marquis

The original epilogue for How to Marry a Marquis took place at the wedding, but my editor felt it would be fun to style it like a book instead. I think she was right (I love what we ended up with) but I still like this scene a lot! ~ JQ

Epilogue

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Marry a Marquis.

Quotes Erika Liked

Julia Quinn
“James - "Are you paying attention or just trying to make me look like an idoit?"
Elizabeth - "Oh, I'm definately paying attention. If you look like an idiot it has nothing to do with me.”
Julia Quinn, How to Marry a Marquis

Julia Quinn
“Above all else, be true to your heart. When you marry, whether it be a marquis or an estate manager (or both!), it will be for life. You must go where your heart leads and never forget that love is the most precious gift of all. Money and social status are poor substitutes for a warm, tender embrace, and there is little in life more fulfilling than the joy of loving and knowledge that you are loved in return.”
Julia Quinn, How to Marry a Marquis
tags: love

02/04/2012
2.0% "Happy to meet Lady Danbury again :D"
02/05/2012
31.0% "Elizabeth planted her hands on her hips and glowered up at the handsome estate manager. “How dare you think I would blackmail this sweet old lady!" "Sweet?" Mr. Siddons echoed. "Old?" Lady Danbury hollered (lol ^^)"
02/05/2012
50.0% ""I'm going to pull you closer." His breath, and his words, were hot against her skin.
Some barely conscious part of Elizabeth realized that he was according her an uncommon respect, and she managed to find her voice long enough to say, “Why are you asking me?"
"To give you the chance to say no." His gaze—hot, heavy, and very male—swooped down over her face. "But you won't say no""
02/05/2012
61.0% "Oh Elizabeth... it was so sad.."
02/05/2012
79.0% ""I am going to speak now," he said, keeping his voice painfully slow and steady. "And the person who interrupts me will be tossed out the window. Is that clear?" No one said anything. "Is that clear?" "I thought you wanted us to be quiet," Blake said. Which turned out to be all the incentive Caroline needed to open her mouth and say, "Do you think he realizes that the window isn't open?""
02/05/2012
96.0% "Before she had a chance to react, he reached out and took her hand in his. "Do you feel this?" he whispered, placing it against his heart. "It beats for you. Do you feel these?" he echoed, raising her hand to his lips. "They breathe for you" *swooooon*"
02/05/2012
100.0% "YOU MUST GO WHERE YOUR HEART LEADS AND NEVER FORGET THAT LOVE IS THE MOST PRECIOUS GIFT OF ALL. MONEY AND SOCIAL STATUS ARE POOR SUBSTITUTES FOR A WARM, TENDER EMBRACE, AND THERE IS LITTLE IN LIFE MORE FULFILLING THAN THE JOY OF LOVING AND KNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ARE LOVED IN RETURN. And you ARE loved, Elizabeth. Until the last breath leaves my body, and for eternity after that... (great epilogue!)"
04/15/2012
0.0% "Lizzie, James, Lady Danburry, Hotchkiss's siblings, I need you all! Humor me..."
04/15/2012
1.0% "Jane rolled her eyes and sighed. "You must remember that he is only eight." Lucas smirked back. "You're only nine." "I shall always be older than you." "Yes, but I shall soon be bigger, and then you'll be sorry." (This is why I love them) " 1 comment

Erika Thanks Baba darling *hugs*