Justin's Reviews > The Book of Tea

The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura

Jan 06, 12

Read from December 31, 2011 to January 06, 2012

This was an interesting look into Japanese tea culture over 100 years ago. I thought it humerous that the author ranted for a while about how ignorant Western culture is to tea and appropriate practices; not much has changed. I was hoping for an in depth book on tea itself, but this book was more about the tea ceremony and explains the importance of many different things in the ceremony such as flowers, tea, the dimensions of the tea room, the significance of religious/philosophical views and how they developed "Teaism."

This is definitely an interesting read and would recommend it to anyone interested in Japanese tea ceremony or Japanese culture.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Tea.

12/31/2011
22.0% ""...The fourth cup raises a slight perspiration,--all the wrong of life passes away through my pores. ...""
01/02/2012
43.0% "That whole last chapter had about a paragraphs worth about tea. The rest of it was about Taoism with a touch of Zen. So far it is hardly justified in this book about tea."
01/03/2012
63.0% "The most recent chapter mentions Hoodo temple in Uji. I googled'd it and found that after 1100 years it's still standing. It's pretty impressive. More impressive than this last chapter was."