Emily's Reviews > Monster

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Jun 30, 08

bookshelves: grad
Read in July, 2008

I'm terrified - I get to teach this book on Wednesday. I like the YA quickness of it, the honest voice, and the post-modern way it's subjective. We never get an objective shot of what actually happened on the day the main character was accused of being involved in a murder. The use of screenplay and film jargon and stylized personal journal was interesting and not too gimmicky.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Amanda It will be exciting to teach the book! The more I think about the book, the more I like it and recognize it's larger social messages as incredibly important. Yes, the style was innovative and the fact that we never know the "truth" is a really important part of the message that in our society, truth is in bureaucracy and whether other people believe in you. I think I might change my rating!

message 2: by Jerjonji (new)

Jerjonji I need to borrow this! I keep meaning to read it but it never makes it into my hand when I go shopping!

Emily I think I got it from the library, actually. I'm told that Walter Dean Myers is one of the hottest, best writers of his mini-genre... that is books about urban young men. And that's important.

message 4: by Patti (new) - added it

Patti I picked up this book during my last stint at the book fair! The style intrigued me (and the reason for the style - he views his life like a movie)! Cool!