JanBreesmom's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, audiobook, memoir
Read from January 07 to 08, 2012

I've just completed Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe. I had received this book free on Audiobook.com as a free promotion and had very few positive expectations of the book. I have been aware of Rob Lowe as an actor for some time but have the mistaken idea that he was just another privileged kid who decided to become an actor. I had remembered the tabloids in the 1980's where his picture was prominently displayed on the front cover every time I went to the grocery store.

To my surprise this book is thoughtful, well-written, and tells of a man from a lower middle class Mid-Western broken family who discovered early in life that his burning passion was to be an actor. He worked very hard toward that goal to make his dream a reality.

In this autobiography he has a refreshingly "normal" tone, a humble voice telling of his wins and his losses, mistakes he made and lessons he learned along the way. He does "name names" but only in context and not in a way to discredit anyone else.

I enjoyed this book very much. I am hoping he tries his hand at writing again, I'd like to read more. I recommend this book to teenagers and adults who like autobiographies or pop culture buffs of the 1980's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.

01/07/2012 page 165