Jackie's Reviews > Scandal in Spring

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: romance, regency
Read from December 30 to 31, 2011

Out of all the Wallflowers, I identify with Daisy the most (though Evie is a close second). This saddens me because Daisy isn't as developed as the other characters (not literally, but probably that as well). She's the bookish dreamer made out of "thunderstorms and rainbows" in a cute package but that's about it. Kleypas doesn't explain enough why Daisy loves books, which is important since it's one of her main attributes. What I don't understand is that if all the girls have such different personalities (Lillian's a bulldog, Evie a deer, Annabelle a porcelain doll—but they'll beat you up, don't forget that), why do they all end up with similar guys (who are all buds, coincidentally)? Maybe this could happen in real life. And I get that these types of strong, tortured, heart-of-gold-under-a-tough-exterior rakes are desirable. But in fiction, a little variety would be nice. The author is talented but reluctant to give up her winning formula. If she could just pay more attention to the small details, like Daisy's semi-reconciliation with her parents, or her fantasies of being abducted and ravished by a villain (yep.) and who exactly shows up at the wedding for Matthew, I would be quite satisfied. Overall, I was thoroughly absorbed in the book, devoured it in a day and laughed a lot so I can't complain too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal in Spring.