Crystal Hammon's Reviews > What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style

What I Wore by Jessica Quirk

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: fashion
Read in December, 2011

I’ll admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for this book. Is it because of the author’s daily blog, whatiwore.tumblr.com, where she ignites a profusion of ideas for dressing more imaginatively? Is it because of her contemporary adroitness with vintage garments? Is it her coyness and personal charm, which I experienced directly when I met Jessica Quirk at a central Indiana Tweet up for fashion bloggers early this year? Or is it simply the cleverness of this book, which reads like a series of seasonal recipes for cooking up something special with your wardrobe?
Quirk’s cookbook is loaded with practical tips that only a serious clothes-horse could know. Wanna know how to arrange your vast collection of tights? Fold ‘em in half, wrap them around a plastic hanger and make a loop knot, securing them to the hanger. What to do with those menacing wire hangers in your closet? Her words: “Toss ‘em.”

Rather than conveying her ideas in photographs that reveal her perfect figure, Quirk’s sketches illustrate the endless ensembles you can make from an existing wardrobe. She peppers the book with useful shopping advice on where to spend your money. Hint: You don’t need to feel guilty about the boots that you spent $200 on if you’ll wear them three times a week from September through March.

Read this book and catch the distinct scent of Quirk’s joy and passion for getting dressed, aptly shown in her advice for putting together great ensembles: “Find time to play dress-up and create new outfits (like on Sunday night with a glass of wine)”

I can’t pull off half the ensembles Quirk suggests. But knowing that is one of the most important ingredients for getting dressed in Quirk’s opinion. Wear what works for you, regardless of trends. This is a gem of a book to inspire fashionistas of all stripes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Wore.