Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Ali in Wonderland

bookshelves: 2011, amazon-vine, arc, from-publisher-author
Read in December, 2011

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

It has been a long time since I laughed this hard with an author, ok, I laughed at her, but the way she has told her story makes it hard not to laugh. Seriously, there are some really funny things in this book. When her older sister runs away from home, Ali follows her and they both agree that if she can make her laugh, Sissy will return home. What transpires next will have you rolling on the floor when she explains how she put on a show on the side of the road, not realizing others were watching. I don't recommend reading this book while you are near anyone since you will NOT be able to control yourself and may make a spectacle of yourself, but Ali would probably be right there to cheer you on. I have a feeling that even though she grew up somewhat in the limelight, she was a natural performer and used humor to diffuse a lot of strange political situations.

I really enjoyed her on In Living Color and even though she played the ditzy parts, she is far from that in real life. Wentworth grew up in Washington DC and her mother was Reagan's social secretary, so you can image some of the stories that weren't included. She did include a sweet story about Donald Rumsfeld and his dachshund, Reggie. Oh, yes, she talks about her DACHSHUNDS! She currently has two and may or may not have had something to do with Jerry Seinfeld acquiring one of his own. It doesn't matter what your politics are, there is something about a dachshund that cuts across all sorts of lines.

The book itself is a collection of essays, memories and thoughts on life. I am so glad she wrote the book first and then asked her mother. Although from some of the stories told in the book, I don't think even her mother could contain her. Be sure to read the "interview" with her mother, Muffy Cabot, about her book release. I really hope that there is more to come from this author since I am sure she has even more to share about her home life with George Stephanopoulos. If you enjoy David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs, you will be quite pleased with the humor in this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ali in Wonderland.