Stacey O'Neale's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Jun 10, 12

Read from May 07 to 14, 2012

City of Lost Souls is the fifth book in the Mortal Instruments series. I'm not going to waist your time telling you about it because that's what the synopsis is for. Instead, I'm just going to tell you my opinions of the plotlines, and why this is the first Cassandra Clare book that I didn't rate a five out of five.

You can read the rest of my review here:

You can check out my interview with Cassandra Clare here:

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

05/09/2012 page 298
56.0% "OMG, Malec! I'm afraid he's going to do something that cannot be forgiven. This book is so crazy. With every character I'm like, "holy crap!". And, yes, I know they are fictional. ;-p" 1 comment

Holly I'm so in love with these characters. I really cried during the Epilogue.

Stacey O'Neale It's really making me sad what's happening to my favorite couple. I don't want say who cause I don't want to give out a spoiler. But, I am unhappy.

Karina I'm halfway through and feel the same...but it's an enjoyable although bumpy ride, isn't it?

message 4: by Stacey (last edited May 12, 2012 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacey O'Neale Yeah, I'm dying to know why Brother Zachariah is so interested in saving Jace. He's tied to that family, but how?

message 5: by Bonnie (last edited May 12, 2012 09:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bonnie I think Brother Zachariah is Jem. I read a review that someone else thinks it's either him or Will but I can only assume it's not Will since he had to have had children or Jace wouldn't be here and fits the 'love' question Clary asks him. Something to ponder....

Karina Wow, that would make a lot of sense.

Karla I definitely thought Jem would turn out to be one of the Silent Brothers, and I felt crazy for thinking that. Now I feel like my theory is less out there.

Karina I finished the book yesterday--loved it and can't believe the next one won't be out for two years!!!--but I totally agree that he's Jem. Based on everything he said, it fits.

Bonnie I wonder if we will find out in CP2 (if it's Jem) or if she will make us wait until CoHF to unveil Brother Zachariah...hmm?

Karina I guess we'll have to wait and see...Argh!

message 11: by Stacey (last edited May 14, 2012 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacey O'Neale Kinda sad to think about though. If Jem and Tessa are both alive, but not together. I wanted her to end up with Will, but I still love Jem. I know one of my friends will be crushed if he's a silent brother cause he's so handsome and they are so scary looking.

message 12: by Nancy (last edited May 14, 2012 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nancy The book junkie I'm sorry to just come in the conversation but i just wanted to add a little something about the fact that brother Zacariah could be Will or Jem. I think he may be one of them too and Will obviously had kids since there's Jace but Jem is supossed have kids too because the Dark artifices will follow Emma Carstairs and as far as we know Jem is an only child!

Stacey O'Neale Nancy wrote: "I'm sorry to just come in the conversation but i just wanted to add a little something about the fact that brother Zacariah could be Will or Jem. I think he may be one of them too and Will obviousl..."

ACK! You're right. Ugh...it could be either. Damn, and I thought I finally had something figured out. :-(

Lauren My guess is Jem too! But if so, then I wonder why Brother Zachariah seems like a new brother? What was he doing in the 100+ years between his time and present? Did it have anything to do with Tess talking to Magnus after CoG? Also, Cassie has said that we don't know the extent of the Carstairs/Herondale families during Tess/Will/Jem's time so there could be other cousins or relatives that have children.

And I agree with being unhappy about what happens with one of the couples...I wanted to punch a certain person! Someone made a BAD decision. GRRRRRR

Nancy The book junkie Knowing Cassandra Clare not matter which theories we'll think about she'll surprise us!

Karina I did give this five stars but I do have to agree with some aspects of Jace and Clarry being annoying....

erica I agree with everything you said in here. Totally. I can't wait for Clockwork Princess!!

Charlotte I totally agree with some parts of this review, as it wasn't as good as the others. I agree one hundred per cent about not being able to wait for CP, as I love love love TID more than TMI!

Stacey O'Neale Charlotte wrote: "I totally agree with some parts of this review, as it wasn't as good as the others. I agree one hundred per cent about not being able to wait for CP, as I love love love TID more than TMI!"

I thought it was good. I mean, I love Cassandra's writing and the world she created. My major issue is that I wish that Clary/Jace weren't the main event. I know most people love Jace, but I felt like their story was complete at City of Glass. I would've loved to see the story shift to the other characters. :-)

Charlotte Stacey wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I totally agree with some parts of this review, as it wasn't as good as the others. I agree one hundred per cent about not being able to wait for CP, as I love love love TID more ..."

Stacey O'Neale Charlotte wrote: "I agree. I do love Jace, but I didn't want any more problems for Clary and him. It would have been amazing to see more of the other characters because that's what I enjoyed most about this book, especially Magnus <3"

Charlotte Stacey wrote: "I love Magnus! He's my favorite. I can't wait to see who they cast in the movie. I am beyond excited for the movie."

Me too! So exciting!