Benjaminxjackson's Reviews > Steel: And Other Stories

U_50x66
Dec 31, 11

Recommended for: Science Fiction Fans, Short Story Fans
Read in December, 2011

This is a collection of short stories that fall into the science fiction and fantasy genres. Most were published in the 1950s and cover the standard science fiction topics of the age including robots, time travel, the atomic bomb, and how human beings interact with them. There is also one Western which is a nice, short study of human folly.

There are two stories from the past three years, one that seems to be an attempt to cash in on the vampire craze in a quirky, but entertaining way, and the other which comes back to time travel and considers what might happen if someone were to meet his younger self.

Most of these short stories have a nice twist or viewpoint that make them enjoyable a reads. Though I just didn't get "Lemmings", so if you have read this and can shed any light on it, let me know.

I woould recommend this book to science fiction fans, especially those who liked the stories that grapple with man's relationship to technology, and those who like fiction about the atomic age. I would also say that short story lovers would enjoy some of these pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie I can't recall Lemmings in particular, but I did read

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie ...Matheson not too long ago. He's a major cult figure for people into the genres of horror and scifi alike. One particularly fun exercise, however, is to read "I am Legend", then to watch the three film versions of it: "the Last Man on Earth" staring Vincent Price (a wonderful movie) then Heston's "Omega Man" (the most entertaining IMHO), followed by that travesty "I am Legend." Makes for a good weekend.

Benjaminxjackson I saw "I am Legend." That ending was awful.

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Oh, that movie was a travesty. But the others are good, and it's fun to watch them together.