Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*'s Reviews > A Beautiful Evil

A Beautiful Evil by Kelly Keaton

Feb 09, 2012

Read from February 06 to 09, 2012

In this sequel to Darkness Becomes Her Keaton continues to weave together mythology and fantasy to tell a gothic YA tale. The story begins almost right where we left off in the last one. Ari has begun at Presby upon her own request and is training for her eventual match up against queen evil bitch Athena. For the first one-third of the book that's pretty much all Ari does, and I was afraid that the slow pacing would continue. As I reached the book's middle, the action started to pick up a little and I was relieved that I became much more interested in the story. I still find myself a little iffy on the chemistry between Ari and Sebastian though, I just want more. More heat, more flirting, more something. Sebastian experiences some changes in this installment they might hopefully lead to him becoming more intense and a little sexier in the next one (sexy for YA, I mean).

I do love the world Keaton has created for this series, and as I said about book one, the world building and setting of the story are the biggest stars here. A ruined, future New Orleans provides an awesome backdrop for a place where vampires, shifters, and ancestors of gods reside. I would like to see a little more fleshing out of those paranormal and mythological characters. There are so many different types of paranormal characters that they can't all be fully developed in one or two books, so I'm hoping to get more background as the series goes on.

Ari continues to be a really great young adult heroine. She is strong, doesn't make decisions that don't make any sense, and she cares about her friends and family. Ari's driving force is to get her people back and avoid giving into her curse. In book one I really enjoyed the friendship between Ari and the odd little Violet, and she is absent for quite a lot of time in this one. I can't wait to hopefully read more about their special connection in the next book.

Athena is a pretty awesome bad guy, or bad girl I guess. She is evil and mean and will make you hate her. We finally get a little more information on her backstory, and that helps the reader to understand her anger and her motives.

All in all, I still enjoyed this series after reading book two and I will certainly keep an eye out for book three!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Evil.

02/06/2012 page 1
02/09/2012 page 99
35.0% "I'm really liking this book, its just not a good one to read after reading THE BEST BOOK EVER!" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Is this book good?? Hey what's the FF question tonight?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Yeah, its good I've just been in a weird mood lately. I think I'm experiencing rader's funk. After BotB nothing seems legit!

Here's the Q:
Q: What would your prefer: reading your favorite book over and over again until you got sick of it OR reading 100s of mediocre books? And why?

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Yeah, its good I've just been in a weird mood lately. I think I'm experiencing reader's funk. After BotB nothing seems legit!

Here's the Q:

message 4: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN I'm with you on that...BotB was so good, this book I'm reading now doesn't even compare! I'm in a funk too! Boo.

Thanks for the question. I love getting it early!;) hehe. That's a great question...I'm torn because I can go both ways on that one!;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Good question I need to make my FF too.Well I go through funks too.You girls are not alone.

Shelley Did you already trade this book away?

Shelley Ah, it's okay. I'm going to try and participate in the YA Paranormal Blog hop this weekend. Going to see if I can get Mariya to help me post it correctly.

Maybe then I can get some followers. Come 300 then I can really go after authors for new ARCs like Rachel Caine who requires 300 followers.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Rachel Caine herself requires 300? That' interesting, authors don't get a lot of ARCs to send out and I haven't heard of an author with specific requirements like that!

Shelley Yep. Just got the email this am from her assistant pretty much saying you need 300 followers in order to receive one of her ARC's. I thanked her for her time, and moved on to the next 5 I'm requesting.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Hmm...interesting! Wow. What were you requesting?