Deborah's Reviews > Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

May 25, 14

Read in December, 2011

Loving Marquez more and more with each work I pick up. Once again he effortlessly pulls the reader into the story. The character we end up knowing least about is the one we know will die from the first few lines and pages - Santiago Nasar. Set as a murder mystery but more of a 'why did they really do it' than a 'whodunnit' because we are quickly aware that the Vicario brothers are responsible for the crime itself in revenge for their sister's lost honour. The narrator reveals the story piece by piece as it has been told to him by others and also from his own memories of the day. We quickly learn that nothing is straightforward, everyone has their own motives and individual memories are as varied as the cast of characters. They can't even agree what the weather was like on the morning of his death. As the tale unfolds we are left puzzled by the Vicario brothers, who seem reluctant yet determined, seemingly laying out potential traps along the way by which they could be thwarted. Nasar does not seem to be a well-liked character outside his few friends and immediate family, begging the question - could he have been saved if they had really wanted him to be? Another perfectly formed little masterpiece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicle of a Death Foretold.